Win Xp Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

skwid

Beta member
Alright, I'm an advanced PC user, and I know quite a bit about windows, spyware, the internet, and DOS.

My friend was having some troubles with his PC and wanted me to format, and install win XP prof. again.

It's a home made computer, and he has a legit copy of windows.

I partitioned the hard drive (40 gb) in one partition. I formatted it. It won't let me execute the "setup" command on the windows disk. So, I reserched microsoft website, and found the command that lets you force the install.

It loads a few files and freezes. I restart, it continues. It asks me few questions and I get: "Setup Cannot find the End User License Agreement (EULA)"

I researched microsoft again. It tells me to do the exact thing which I have just performed. (Partion, format) I have both a windows 98 and windows ME boot disk. I chose the ME.

So.. I tried it again... and again........... and again. No luck.

Please help me. I feel like a moron.

-The skwid

so you cant boot from cd? If you use a win98 boot disk, setup doesnt work, you need to run winnt32. Please provide more info, if he has a legit windows, the EULA shouldnt be an issue.(actually Ive never seen that as an issue) BTW - AVOID ANYTHING TO DO WITH WINDOWS ME.

clean the disc? cuz if it cant find the eula...that means its not on the disk or its scratched or corrupted...so try cleaning the disc, and if that doesnt work call MS up for a new one.

it is scracthed disc or a bootleg copy of windows. if the latter is the case you will have to use 3rd party software to delete that hard drive (microsoft tools just won't work. partition magic or power max will) and bootsector (the 7.8mb part of hard drive). you won't be able to load an OS on it, until you do this. then you will have to get a legit copy of windows ($99.00 these days)

funggorgor said:
Why use windows ME boot disk?
windows xp cd is supposed to be bootable

from reading his posts, it look like he did at first and it didn't seem to work, which leads me to beleive that microsoft locked it up. they will do that if you go to windows update and they search your computer and you are caught with a bootlegg key. then you can't reinstall windows properly

or a scratch cd will exhibit the same symptoms during install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom