Win xp install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Buss

Beta member
Hello.
I am trying to install XP on a machine. The XP is fine, i have used it many times over.
My problem is that when the machine reboots during the installation, it starts the istallation over from scratch. All other machines i´ve ever installed it on, the insallation continues after the reboot.
In my bios the boot order is set to 1. cdrom. 2 harddisk.
i have tried to change the bootorder, even during the install-reboot, but then it says "diskreaderror, ctrl-alt-delete to restart".
Any ideas?

Thanks

Darth Buss

does the CD have lots of scratches?if you have another copy of that CD you can try and use it.

You should think it did right?
However it just says "diskreaderror. press ctrl+alt+delete to restart"
Bugger

In that case I'm going to put it down to the hard drive failing. You say you've tested two XP discs on that hard drive? In that case, try installing XP using the original disc onto another hard drive (if you have one).

If that works then it's almost got to be a drive failure.

When i bought the machine, it was without OS on it. I had the same problem then, but somehow i fixed it. It would really help if i could remember what i did, but i dont.
Anyway, it was a different disk then, so the pattern is not diskrelated :eek:(

I can't for the life of me think what the problem would be then, although I'm still leaning towards a drive failure. However, going by the fact that you've had the problem since you got the computer, I'm now hesitant to recommend getting a new hard drive just in case it's not actually the drive.

Yeah, i hear you.
I´ll try some stuff (and maybe throw the bloody thing out the window).
Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom