win 7

once i got it to unzip, (which took 4 tries) i could not get it to open, or actually, do anything. every time i would try, windows 10 would open a dialog box that took me to the app store. once there, it tried to sell me a program that would supposedly open it.

What vm are you using? Use virtual box. It has an installer.

U can also use Windows virtual machine but I don't know if u can run it on win 10.

Last edited:
once i got it to unzip, (which took 4 tries) i could not get it to open, or actually, do anything. every time i would try, windows 10 would open a dialog box that took me to the app store. once there, it tried to sell me a program that would supposedly open it.

Did you install VirtualBox?

You may not be able to just double click it - you may have to add a new VM in VirtualBox from an existing file (the one that you extracted).

so i have to install virtualbox before i can install the virtualbox installation from microsoft? is the government involved in this somehow? ok, i will download and install virtualbox, then try to open/install/ or whatever it will let me do. i am WAY OVER MY HEAD on this one!

so i have to install virtualbox before i can install the virtualbox installation from microsoft? is the government involved in this somehow? ok, i will download and install virtualbox, then try to open/install/ or whatever it will let me do. i am WAY OVER MY HEAD on this one!

Yes you have to install VirtualBox (or some kind of Virtual Machine software).

Make sure you downloaded the correct image for VirtualBox from the link that Soul posted earlier.

well, i got it to work. i had to go back and give it more memory as the standard default amount is a whopping 512mb! wow. i gave it 4gb. so a couple of things went thru my head as i was checking it out. first, it shows up as not having any anti virus protection. do i need to download something, or will the norton in the main computer actually take care of anything coming in? i have an archaic piece of hardware (usb floppy drive) that is not showing up in the virtual computer. i tried un and re plugging it in, but that did nothing. so i am not sure what is going on there. windows 7 came thru as service pack 1. i have windows update looking for updates. i am not sure if the virtual machine is set to stay as is, or if it will update to sp2. what else might i need to worry about?

There is nothing to worry about. If u want to install that usb floppy, I'm sure u can. I'll check when I come back after school

well, i got it to work. i had to go back and give it more memory as the standard default amount is a whopping 512mb! wow. i gave it 4gb. so a couple of things went thru my head as i was checking it out. first, it shows up as not having any anti virus protection. do i need to download something, or will the norton in the main computer actually take care of anything coming in? i have an archaic piece of hardware (usb floppy drive) that is not showing up in the virtual computer. i tried un and re plugging it in, but that did nothing. so i am not sure what is going on there. windows 7 came thru as service pack 1. i have windows update looking for updates. i am not sure if the virtual machine is set to stay as is, or if it will update to sp2. what else might i need to worry about?

Treat it as you would a normal system. Unless of course you just want to try and break things :p. Beauty of VM's, you can take what's called a snapshot (which is basically an image of the current state of the VM) and revert back to that snapshot at any time. No, Norton (which sucks btw and you should replace anyway) will not protect the client VM. The Client VM is considered it's own system.

Just keep in mind if you plan on doing a lot of browsing with it, or anything that may expose it to malware...there are malware strains out there that can try to jump from the client VM to the host machine and infect your normal OS. Not super common, but just something to be aware of.

As for the floppy drive and such...you should be able to share it through the Devices menu. You can also give it a Floppy Controller through the Settings menu while the VM is powered off. For some things (like USB sharing), you may need to install the additional VirtualBox Tools (download them from VirtualBox's website).

For some things (like USB sharing), you may need to install the additional VirtualBox Tools (download them from VirtualBox's website).

oh yeah, i remember seeing that. that was before i downloaded and installed the virtual box. // the Norton subscription is a 60 or 90 day trial, that came with the motherboard. i used to pay the big bucks for Norton years ago, when i was totally ignorant. i have since graduated (that's my story and i am sticking to it) to clueless. someday i hope to make it all the way to "almost knows what he is doing" !

Back
Top Bottom