Win 2000 Pro to XP Transfer via USB?! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 06:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Win 2000 Pro to XP Transfer via USB?!

Hi there - can anyone tell me a way of transerring from an old Win 2000 machine with every port in the world to a new XP machine with just USB and a parallel connection? I wanted to use the transfer wizard via the serial port, but the new machine does not have one. All I have is USB and I'm told it's possible, but who's ever seen a USB A to USB A cable? Or is it possible via the parallel ports?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

What you can do is if both PC's haev an ethernet port just get a PC to PC bridge cable. Not totally sure if i go thtat name right but you need a cable that can connect 2 PC's together. I have one and instead of being Blue or black it is a Yellow cable that i use to transfer settings and such. Maybe that will help you out.

Either that or you can do it over a network thru a router. Or instead of that just get a USB extender. That way it will have the USB end to plug into the PC and the end for the cable.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I think you are getting at using a crossover cable to go from one PC to the other via the ethernet port.

Do you have that much stuff or can you just burn some CDs or use a USB memory key etc?
Old 03-22-2006, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks all - good advice, but it's not what I was looking for. Trouble is, I would have to install a new network card, add a USB key card and buy the cable in order to use the transfer wizard, costing some £40..! The old machine, just to aggravate me, doesn't have a mass media storage facility at all. Great. I wanted to do things this way as all the old emails and users settings (and some of the software) would pass across without me needing to set everything up again. Ah well. It's the old school route for now. Thanks to you good folks all the same.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Like i said use a USB extender. That will give you the connections you need.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-22-2006, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Take the hd out of the 2000 machine and slave it in the xp machine. Make sure you have set the jumpers to have the xp hd as the master adn the 2000 as the slave or set both to cable select. Then when you boot to XP you should see both drives and you should be able to copy and past.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by kemo099
Take the hd out of the 2000 machine and slave it in the xp machine. Make sure you have set the jumpers to have the xp hd as the master adn the 2000 as the slave or set both to cable select. Then when you boot to XP you should see both drives and you should be able to copy and past.
this is the simplest route. they way you was talking you would have had bought something.

Closed Thread