Wife doesn't like Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUGED1

Beta member
How difficult would it be to remove Windows 7 from my wife's new laptop & install a licensed copy of Windows XP Home (which I have). Is it something I can do myself or should I take it to a repair shop??
Any & all suggestions appreciated.
Thank you,
Ed.

Slow down. First I would suggest that IF you do decide to install XP to only install it on the partition that your current OS is on. If you just bought this laptop more than likely there is a partition on there now that if in the future you want to reinstall 7, you just press F12 at startup and you can completely restore the laptop to it's original form. Keep that in mind during this process.

You are going to be hard pressed to get everything to work with the new laptop too. Manf aren't making drivers for old OS's anymore. General things like mouse and video will work but things like SATA support, audio and quick launch keys may not work.

I would suggest looking for a 'skin' for windows 7 that makes it feel Xp'ish.

MindoverMaster hit the nail on the head. It's pretty simple. The driver issue would probably be the worst aspect of XP. What is it that your wife hates about 7 though?

XP home isnt exactly the best either, but yeah not just manufacturers have stopped supporting XP, but so have microsoft as they want people to move on.

why not try a windows XP theme? the same functionality of windows 7, without the look

I prefer "right on the money", but yeah, you get the point across. :lol:

I knew people that hated Vista, and with good reason, but they love 7.

Windows XP has less than 18 months left of support from Microsoft. That means for only 18 more months you will get any updates or patches to the Operating System. Do you really think your security and your families security is safe with XP which has been the most hacked OS in Microsoft History? Do you really think that in 19 months, 1 month after XP is no longer supported that there wont be a new flaw found that could allow someone to take over your system or get your personal data? Knowing that you cant do anything to get that fixed anymore.

You need to tell your wife that change happens. It is time to get away from 1999 and Prince. We cant party like its 1999 anymore cause such things can cause us to lose everything today. My wife recently went from XP to Win7 as well, guess who just had the same talk as well? That's right me. I let her fight me on it with her 6 year old Dell cause it ran like junk. But I refused to put XP on her new HP and she has to learn to live with Win7. It is the best security wise and update wise. She needs to get with 2012 and realize that the bubble she has been in for 11 years needs to be popped. She is no longer safe in XP.

She, nor I, like it because it is not compatible with her favorite games (Sierra After Dark Games, 1998, no newer version to be found) nor does it support Outlook Express. I have had no Driver problems with XP & as old as we are, XP may outlast us. If I can keep her happy by going back to what she is familiar with, any minor problems will be worth it. Unfortunately, I do not know what reformat entails & would need detailed instructions for the whole process. If this is asking to much, my apologies, I will take it to a Tech shop.
Thank you,
Ed.

If I knew how & could explain it to her it might be O.K.. Neither of us are tech inclined so it would take a really simple explanation.
Thank you,
Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom