why does Windows do an automatic CHDSK: C ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I was just trying to install an update to a music production software I have and the update installed got stuck, I tried to cancel, nothing happened, even trying to cancel the process in the task manager did not help, so I wanted to re-boot, but then simply hit the reset button on my PC. Upon restarting my PC did ths CHDSK on my C drive automatically. Why does it do that? Does that mean there is something wrong with my hard-disc?
After the test was finished it rebooted my PC normally and everything seems to be fine.

Thanks,
Lars

best explanation i could find

Microsoft Corporation

Remarks
•

If a volume's dirty bit is set, this indicates that the file system may be in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because the volume is online and has outstanding changes, because changes were made to the volume and the computer shutdown before the changes were committed to disk, or because corruption was detected on the volume. If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume.

Every time Windows XP starts, Autochk.exe is called by the Kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom