Weird situation with network.

mito551

Beta member
Hello everyone, first post here, yay. I never really posted anywhere because I could find any problem every problem I encountered, until now. The problem is basically that I can't access certain sites (hell, I couldn't even load the captcha to register, so I had to go from my phone), which sounds like an ISP problem, but I can access them through my linux installation just fine. So both hardware and ISP problems seem not to be the case. What's more, my skype and steam freak out, both of them being unable to connect to their respective services, which results in steam giving various error code and skype just getting disconnected from time to time. Now skype broke being in constant "connecting" loop. Steam also can't update (stuck on 27% and 99%) and it takes an effort to turn it on. This is really weird and looks like viruses at first glance, but I'm not sure. I'm running antivirus now, we'll see if that's it. Yeah, stupid of me not to check that as soon as I got the problem, but what I did check: Windows Firewall, Avast! Firewall (which is disabled atm), Adapter Settings, VPN (I used to use them on previous installs) and proxies, Pings. Then, I tried reinstalling windows. A couple of times. Didn't help. I have 2 harddrives, I do nothing to one big hardrive, so it might be the virus case. Also, it's a weird thing but internet seems to be working normally about a minute after rebooting the network adapter. And then I barely can browse the internet to say nothing of the website I can't visit at all. I don't know what else can I say about the problem, but I'm eager to solve the problem and will be happy to give more information and run more tests to resolve the issue. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you re-installed windows, thus re-formatting the HDD then logically there shouldn't be anymore viruses. What certain sites can't you access? How is your PC connected to the internet? What network card/adapter do you have?

Yeah, Avast! virus scan didn't result in anything. But I said that I have two harddrives - one of which I did format, but not both of them. I can't tell you the whole list, because it's seems that there's a lot of them, but to begin with: rutracker.org (ping times out) download.com (high ping) filehippo.com (high ping) sberbank.ru (ping times out) Also, I mentioned I couldn't get captcha. I also couldn't download iTunes, though the apple site worked fine, it's only the little thing that had "download iTunes" button didn't load. Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, as it is in my device manager. I imagine it's a motherboard built-in network adapter.

Try updating the driver of your Realtek controller and then re-boot the computer. I won't guarantee you 100% that it will work but give it a try it won't hurt. Clearly, if your internet works on Linux (which I presume is installed on your same computer) then something needs to be fixed in Windows.

Last edited:
Clearly, if your internet works on Linux (which I presume is installed on your same computer) then something needs to be fixed in Windows.

Exactly my thoughts. But then, if reinstalling windows doesn't work, then it kinda falls out of logic. I did use the same drivers every time I reinstalled, though. OMGOMGOGM IT WORKED IT WORKED I'M SO FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW THANK YOU SO MUCH MAN THANK YOU. Ahem, sorry. But really man, thank you. I... I thought they weren't making newer drivers for it so I never considered it to be a problem, or a possible problem solution. Steam updated, Skype connected, all the websites seem to be working now. Thank you so much and I'll see you around ;)

Exactly my thoughts. But then, if reinstalling windows doesn't work, then it kinda falls out of logic. I did use the same drivers every time I reinstalled, though. OMGOMGOGM IT WORKED IT WORKED I'M SO FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW THANK YOU SO MUCH MAN THANK YOU. Ahem, sorry. But really man, thank you. I... I thought they weren't making newer drivers for it so I never considered it to be a problem, or a possible problem solution. Steam updated, Skype connected, all the websites seem to be working now. Thank you so much and I'll see you around ;)

You're welcome :) I'm glad to have helped!

Back
Top Bottom