Vista and backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexluethar

Fully Optimized
Has anyone had issues with doing an entire system backup in Vista Ultimate 32 bit? I forget the name of the backup, there is a normal one, then an entire system backup that allows you to restore your computer to the exact state (programs/files/settings/etc) at the time of this backup.

Well anyways i can't get mine to work. It says it will take about 7 DVD's to complete. It burns the first DVD fine, but then cannot validate the data and says it needs to restart. Then i place another DVD into the drive and it says it has to format it. I click okay and it hangs. I've had this hanging issue before when trying to burn normal files to DVD's for simle backup purposes. It asks the same thing (needing to format DVD) and hangs when processing.

I've tried multiple DVD's (these are DVD RW+) still with the same issue. Sometimes just copying the files normally works, and i can successfully burn a DVD, other times it won't let me do that. And EVERY time i've tried the system backup it hasn't worked (tried 3 times).

ANy thoughts?

Formatting the disc is a clue that the backup is using packet writing to burn to burn the DVD. I use Acronis True Image for backing up. I backup directly to external hard drives. The backup files it creates can be made into DVD sized chunks which then can be burned to DVD. Storing data on DVD isn't bulletproof so I create Par2 repair files for the backup with a program called QuickPar. I would never trust backing up directly to a DVD much less spanning multiple DVDs with any on the fly packet writing program.

Lex,

Are you just using the Windows Vista tools or OneCare tools for this? With Windows Vista for some strange reason it always seems to block up when switching DVD's. I noticed that myself. When I had OneCare installed it worked perfectly. As it did when i made the backup image and put it on my external drive.

It is something with the built in burning that it doesnt like multiple DVD's from what i have seen.

Cheers,
Mak

Yes Mak, that is what i'm talking about. YOu can do an image of your entire drive so you can restore it back to that point if needed. I don't really need it per-se, as i have all of the software and I regularly backup my files. I just was working with some of the new features of Vista for an exam. That is what happens, it wants a new DVD, when i place it in it wants to format (which it shouldn't because 5 minutes prior i burned a few files to another DVD from the same pack w/o having to format). I click yes (otherwise it will cancel the burn) and it hangs.

Is this a known issue with Vista burning/backup? Kinda seems major in my eyes since it doesn't offer a restore point. Just a regular backup and the image backup.

Lex,

Vista has a Restore point. It is Server 08 that doesnt. I have nto checked in a while on the update status of this issue. I honestly dont know if it was addressed in SP1 or not. I know i have reported it to M$ personally though. If they did something with it or not is a different story.

Cheers,
Mak

Lex,

Vista has a Restore point. It is Server 08 that doesnt. I have nto checked in a while on the update status of this issue. I honestly dont know if it was addressed in SP1 or not. I know i have reported it to M$ personally though. If they did something with it or not is a different story.

Cheers,
Mak
I'm on SP1 and it isn't fixed :)

As for the restore point, where is that located b/c my book didn't cover that one. I have a backup my computer, and backup my files. Then a restore my computer and restore my files - essentially the restore of the above mentioned actions.

Lex,

Right click on Computer>Properties. In there on the left side click on the Advanced Windows settings. In there under the Restore Tab there should be a setting to turn the feature on or off.

Going from memory so i might be a bit off on how to get that screen up.

Cheers,
Mak

Well what the freak. That is an important feature why the **** didn't this book cover it! :)

This whole time i'm thinking, 'man why would they get rid of that feature.'

Thanks Mak!

Not a problem Lex. That is why i am the Windows Geek. ;)

Which book? I am in the middle of 2 ebooks on Vista and both of them covered this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom