USB Storage Memory question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
Default USB Storage Memory question

Hey guys ...I was wondering if anyone has tried a usb memory drive to increase ram?

I was wondering how much it really help , so that way I dont have to get internal memory because I only have two slots and they have 512 in each so if I wanted to upgrade I would hae to waste at least 512 of ram

Ok thanks just wanted to know if anyone has tried this new feature with vista
__________________

__________________
]MY LAPTOP=
Compaq Pressario V6000
an average laptop with Dual Core Processors
1gig of ram, up to 124mb dedicated to games
Nvidia GeForceGo 6150 15.5screen and a 6cell
battery
Games:1)WoW 2)Fable (currently bugged) 3)Age of Mythology
Shane12m is offline  
Old 10-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
Default Re: USB Storage Memory question

no one knows?
__________________

__________________
]MY LAPTOP=
Compaq Pressario V6000
an average laptop with Dual Core Processors
1gig of ram, up to 124mb dedicated to games
Nvidia GeForceGo 6150 15.5screen and a 6cell
battery
Games:1)WoW 2)Fable (currently bugged) 3)Age of Mythology
Shane12m is offline  
Old 10-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired.
 
peterhuang913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8,076
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: USB Storage Memory question

Well. I did see this thread once you first posted it. I immediately thought of Vista, which you stated. Using USB storage isn't really that great. I have not seen anyone do it so I don't know is it better. But If you really want to have better performance, buy some more ram.

According to Tom's Hardware, using ReadyFetch helps to improve application startup time. This doesn't make the program run faster, but it just make the startup time of the programs faster. I think it does this by loading the program onto the stick, so I doesn't preload on the main memory, and opens it when you run it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom's Hardware
Conclusion

SuperFetch takes care of buffering applications proactively; ReadyBoost provides the additional memory space to do so. Both new features cannot make systems faster than they are; which means that power-hungry applications do not benefit from them. SuperFetch uses available main memory space that may have been unused under Windows XP, and ReadyBoost utilizes a mature and cheap technology by means of USB 2.0 Flash memory devices to provide additional memory capacity for the SuperFetch feature. With only a little "learning", Vista will know which applications are most important for you, and it will preload them into available main memory and onto the ReadyBoost device. In short: Vista succeeds in utilizing existing resources and technology to provide more balanced performance.
Source:
Windows Vista's SuperFetch and ReadyBoost Analyzed | Tom's Hardware
__________________


My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
peterhuang913 is offline  
Old 10-05-2007, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
Default Re: USB Storage Memory question

Wow thanks alot man because that is decieving then what i read just basiclly says that it is faster then actual ram and is good for computers that cant upgrade anymore so that kinda sucks ,
__________________
]MY LAPTOP=
Compaq Pressario V6000
an average laptop with Dual Core Processors
1gig of ram, up to 124mb dedicated to games
Nvidia GeForceGo 6150 15.5screen and a 6cell
battery
Games:1)WoW 2)Fable (currently bugged) 3)Age of Mythology
Shane12m is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 04:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 575
Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo
Default Re: USB Storage Memory question

USB interface is slow compared to onboard SATA/IDE drives, so while you could technically use a USB drive as a paging file or 'virtual memory', you'd be better off just using some HD space.
__________________
\"I\'ll do it cheap, I\'ll do it fast, or I\'ll do it well. You can only choose two.\"
Cunjo is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 04:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default Re: USB Storage Memory question

i've tried it. but vista said my sticks weren't compatible
__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: USB Storage Memory question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunjo View Post
USB interface is slow compared to onboard SATA/IDE drives, so while you could technically use a USB drive as a paging file or 'virtual memory', you'd be better off just using some HD space.
I could be wrong here, but wouldn't USB memory drives, be faster than hard drives?...since the USB memory drives, don't have any moving parts...like those solid state drives?
__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 575
Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo
Default Re: USB Storage Memory question

The drives themselves may be faster, but the interface (USB 2.0) is not.

It takes longer to read/write to a USB flash drive than a HD platter on SATA/PATA interface.
__________________
\"I\'ll do it cheap, I\'ll do it fast, or I\'ll do it well. You can only choose two.\"
Cunjo is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: USB Storage Memory question

Not exactly. USB 2.0 reads/writes at a transfer rate of 488Mbps. While SATA is at 300Mbps. PATA transfers at 150Mbps. So it turns out that USB transfer is faster. Those are max speeds and optimal settings. So using them as a RAM replacement is more effective than using a HDD with Virtual Memory.

The problem with HDD's is that the read/write head is always moving accessing data and writing data. It can not be obtaining your info and writing info to the Virtual MEmory at the same time. So you have to sacrafice performance to gain speed. This is the thought behind Super Fetch and the whole USB Thumb Drive as RAM. It is easier for the PC to write the info to the USB drive and access something from the HDD than trying to force the HDD to perform both functions at once when it is physically impossible to do so.

Super Fetch and the Ready Boost feature is only decent on machine with less than 1GB of RAM. Even then you should have twice as much on your USB stick as you do RAM. So if you have 512RAM you should use a 1GB USB stick.

I used this on a PC with 768RAM and a 2GB USB stick. It didnt work all that well. The PC gained only about 1 sec of preformance when doing anything. Which isnt worth the whole process overall. It is more efficent to buy more RAM for you system than a 2GB or more Thumb Drive.
__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired.
 
peterhuang913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8,076
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: USB Storage Memory question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
Not exactly. USB 2.0 reads/writes at a transfer rate of 488Mbps. While SATA is at 300Mbps. PATA transfers at 150Mbps. So it turns out that USB transfer is faster. Those are max speeds and optimal settings. So using them as a RAM replacement is more effective than using a HDD with Virtual Memory.

The problem with HDD's is that the read/write head is always moving accessing data and writing data. It can not be obtaining your info and writing info to the Virtual MEmory at the same time. So you have to sacrafice performance to gain speed. This is the thought behind Super Fetch and the whole USB Thumb Drive as RAM. It is easier for the PC to write the info to the USB drive and access something from the HDD than trying to force the HDD to perform both functions at once when it is physically impossible to do so.

Super Fetch and the Ready Boost feature is only decent on machine with less than 1GB of RAM. Even then you should have twice as much on your USB stick as you do RAM. So if you have 512RAM you should use a 1GB USB stick.

I used this on a PC with 768RAM and a 2GB USB stick. It didnt work all that well. The PC gained only about 1 sec of preformance when doing anything. Which isnt worth the whole process overall. It is more efficent to buy more RAM for you system than a 2GB or more Thumb Drive.
Theoretical max speed for USB 2.0 is 480Mbit/s or 60MB/s. For SATA 2.0, 3.0Gbit/s or 300MB/s (throughput, not max). 300MB/s is 5 times faster than 60MB/s. SATA 2.0 is faster than USB 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunjo View Post
The drives themselves may be faster, but the interface (USB 2.0) is not.

It takes longer to read/write to a USB flash drive than a HD platter on SATA/PATA interface.
WRONG
Actually, seek time on flash based drives almost do not exist, whereas mechanical drives have to more its head to the location.
__________________

__________________


My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
peterhuang913 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB 3.0 Announced kurtowns Off Topic Discussion 19 03-07-2008 07:53 PM
USB Flash Drive with Capacity Meter veg1992 Off Topic Discussion 5 09-12-2007 05:33 PM
Yahoo! Mail announces unlimited email storage maroon1 Polls 4 05-30-2007 11:03 PM
memory question siddanth3 New Systems | Building and Buying 4 05-28-2007 11:23 PM
Memory Question montdj New Systems | Building and Buying 4 04-09-2007 10:25 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.