Upgrading from vista 32 to 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApolloIV

In Runtime
I've had a hp laptop with 32 bit vista for about a year and i heard that if i have a vista 32 bit os i can get a 64 bit dvd just by paying the cost of shipping. Since this came with the laptop and i didnt buy vista separate will i still be able to do this? I've tried the MS website and it says offer not available so i was thinking about calling MS or HP to see if i could do it. Has anyone tried this or know if its possible?

This isnt possible. Not from any vendor or any promotion that i have known of or heard of.

Really? I'ts on microsofts website

Windows Vista Alternate Media

But since Vista came with my laptop and I didn't actually buy it from a retailer I dont think i can do it. I've heard that even if i can get a home premium 64 bit disk i can use my key and install it but I dont have a disk so i cant check it.

You can't upgrade from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS, you CAN however reformat the hard drive then do a fresh install of the 64 bit OS.

You can't upgrade from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS, you CAN however reformat the hard drive then do a fresh install of the 64 bit OS.

I know this, its still considered upgrading. Also it turns out that it does have to be a retail version not an oem like dell and hp throw on their pc's. so i answered my own question lol, thanks for the feed back though guys i guess i'll just have to buy vista retail or hold out for windows 7.

I just tried with a Serial i have right from Microsoft from MSDN and there is no offer available for me. Best bet is to try. But from what i read it says Retail. With a prebuilt you get OEM. So it might not work.

Well there you go. Sorry maybe i didn't read into your question enough. 99.9% of the time people ask that question it is because they want to upgrade their exhisting OS from 32 to 64 bit and migrate all of their user accounts, settings, files, etc.

Glad you figured it out thought :)

no problem i understand what you mean i see people asking that all the time :laughing:. Oh well XP pro you'll be my buddy a little while longer, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom