Upgrade XP Media Center to Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joonyer

Solid State Member
I'm lacking an answer as to which version to install...32 or 64bit? All I know is it is a Media Center PC, but it doesn't say 32 or 64...is there a website that can tell me this?

What CPU does it have? Anyway if it's been built within the last five years you'll be able to (and should) install the 64-bit version.

It is an AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+

Was that the 64 I was looking for? I'm usually pretty computer savvy, but I've never actually upgraded operating systems before. I've always ended up needing a new computer by the time I was ready to upgrade anyway.

*EDIT*

I tried downloading the 64 bit version of Windows Easy Transfer and at the end it told me update.exe is not a valid WIN32 file and closed the extraction. What does that mean?

Media Center Edition only came in 32 Bit. XP X64 only came in the Professional edition. You have a 64 Bit CPU if you wish to use Win7 64 Bit.

IF you are going to do this, you need to manually backup your files. As using the Transfer Wizaard is not going to work for you. It can not transfer files between 32 Bit and 64 Bit.

this maybe an old post, but I have the exact same PC and set up with a better graphics card though and installed 7 x64bit on a new blank hard drive with no problem.. right now I have it on a different drive then my XP media center to test out my programs compatibility before installing it over my XP.. But I may just copy all data off that hard drive b/c its a sata vs the IDE drive I put in for testing. and then do a fresh install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom