Unable To Flash GPU BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzmxer608

Fully Optimized
I was talking to Apokalipse about this before in a different thread but didn't want to continue the hijacking.

I'm trying to flash my XFX HD5870 BIOS to the Asus BIOS so I don't have the 900MHz core block.

I burned a cd with a DOS image. Then I put atiflash (and all of it's accompanying files) on the cd (actually put them on it twice, once in the main directory and in a separate folder on the cd). Put the BIOS I want and the old BIOS in case I have to revert in both of the described places too. I boot into the DOS image and it seems fine, A:\ waiting for a command. First I try the separate folder to see if that would work, so I type "cd flash" (flash is the folder name). It says invalid directory (or command, one of the two errors). So then I try to do it just from the main directory, so I type "atiflash" and "atiflash.exe" just so see if I could get it to start, both of those wouldn't work either. So I try the whole string "atiflash -p -f -0 asus.bin" Still does nothing.

Something is wrong if I can't even change the working directory to a directory that does exist, unless I'm doing something way wrong (this is the first time I've done anything with a bootable DOS image).

I don't know about the specific flash program your using. But Flashing your XFX card with an Asus Bios will Void your Warranty and if something unusal happens during the flash your card could become unusable. I have to recommend not flashing your card, just OC it the old-fashion way.

Yeah, I don't really like the idea of it but this block is ridiculous. What do you mean by the old fashioned way?

ATI Tool, RivaTuner, etc...

I imagine they'll have a way to by-pass the block with a updated version soon enough.

I just tried ATITool (had it installed but have never used it to OC). Turns out you can get over 900 with it haha. I only tried MSI Afterburner before which set it back to 900 if you used anything above that.

I'm going to do more testing to make sure it actually will work all the time, but so far it seems good. Thanks Slay :D.

Edit: One drawback I found is that it doesn't use the power saving mode and clock back down at low work levels.

Haha, I don't like voiding warranties, I'm happy I didn't have to.

Right now I'm testing the core at 925 and memory at 1250. ATITray Tools doesn't let you increase the voltage from stock yet (does have options to decrease it though). To be honest I don't think I would unless I was on watercooling, the voltage regulators are the hottest part of the card right now, I don't want to push them any farther on air. I'll see what I can get out of it with stock voltages. I'll probably just save the settings as a profile and only use it when folding or benchmarks, otherwise I'll just use the stock settings. It'll downclock and save power (plus run cooler), I don't need the extra power for normal use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom