A trip down memory lane

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
Man this brings back memories.

As I sit here on my new computer I got in June (after a dual boot), it dawned on me that Windows has changed vastly over the last 20 years. I remember vividly having a Windows 3.0 system in 1993 when we lived in Tucson.

Windows_3.0_workspace.png

I remember it being the best thing ever... much better then DOS. Now I look back at it and laugh wondering how I got by :wtf:

Which then graduated to Windows 3.1 and 4.0 which I believe was actually I believe was actually the first attmept on Win 95.

Windows_3.11_workspace.png

When 95 came out I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. We were stationed in Singapore when my dad came home with a brand new Gateway Windows 95, Pentium 266mhz, 32mb RAM and a whole 4GB hard drive :D Back then that was the cream of the crop. Now it would be a paperweight.

Am_windows95_desktop.png

I remember my buddy in Singapore got a Windows 98 system, and I was jealous. I remember he had it all pimped out with colors and themes and I thought it was just the coolest thing... I never got one, but I loved it.

Windows98.png

When we got back to the states my dad got a new computer as our old outdated windows 95 one was crap now, we got a Gateway Windows 2000 ME!. A whole 1.4ghz processor, 20gb hard drive, 128MB of RAM. Back then it was screaming fast, and a much needed upgrade to our Win 95 dinosaur.

WindowsME.png

That lasted all of two years when I saved up for my very own machine. In 2002 I got my very own computer for the first time. A Gateway Pentium 3 2.4 Ghz processor, 512 MB of RAM, and a whole 100GB of hard drive space. It had Windows XP... I was the cream of the crop... and this computer was my primary desktop until last June. It did a fantastic job all those years, and still does as a backup if needed.

Windows_XP_SP3.png

Now here I am with Windows Vista (XP Dual)... and a yet to be tried (by me at least Windows 7) a complete contrast the the early Windows 3.0 systems...

800px-Windows_Vista_Desktop.png

windows_7_here_we_go_again_01.png

Windows technology has changed vastly in the last 2 decades...

How do you think Windows will change and progress over the next 20 years as they did in the last 20 years?

Discuss...

I remember Windows 1.01 being installed on my PC. I remember Windows 2.0, 3.1, and so on. Yes it has changed much. But the honest truth is there is no way to gage where it is going. With Surface being out now, Virtual Reality coming up and the advancement in the field, we could be seeing stuff like the Matrix in 10 years. Who knows.

I can sit here and remember the old punch card PC's. That is how far back i go. Heck i still have a box of em sitting downstairs. Things have changed so much since PC's first came about. I remember when we actually had to GO to the library. I remember when we actually had to READ books to study. I remember when ONLY books qualified as a source for a report.

Heck i remember the first time i dialed up a modem at 9600BPS to connect to a friends PC. Here i sit with my broadband at 4Mb/s...

heh, reading this I'm hearing the bzzz...rrrrr....bzzzzz...rrrr....click sound of the 300 baud connecting...no autodial mind you, that was after, first with my 1900 I think, manually entering the hayes ath commands and numbers. I hated IBM's. after years, and me being on a Amiga, TRS80/C64/C128/C128DI finally gave in and got a IBM 5160. hated it. The actual first IBM system I liked was a 55SX, although I soon didnt like it due to the proprietary architecture and how they screwed us over on the overclocking, then I went into altos and other machines I made/etc. It was good times, and honestly during those times we were the ****......
I mean in late 70's early 80's no one I knew personally knew anything about computers. at best I'd run into a person in a user group or something and all they used it for was a glorified game system. The only time I talked to decent people was via bbs/etc all day and night. Heh...wow anyone remember Qlink or...hmm that other one..forget the name and setting up back channels for talking?

Oh the beloved file manager. sighs.

My first computer:

atari-800.jpg

That's right more graphic capabilities.

Now this:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 67
I feel like I'm standing in the shadow of you all, the oldest I ever used was W '95 :p And even then I was only 3/4 years old (and playing Doom).

I remember Windows 1.01 being installed on my PC. I remember Windows 2.0, 3.1, and so on. Yes it has changed much. But the honest truth is there is no way to gage where it is going. With Surface being out now, Virtual Reality coming up and the advancement in the field, we could be seeing stuff like the Matrix in 10 years. Who knows.

I can sit here and remember the old punch card PC's. That is how far back i go. Heck i still have a box of em sitting downstairs. Things have changed so much since PC's first came about. I remember when we actually had to GO to the library. I remember when we actually had to READ books to study. I remember when ONLY books qualified as a source for a report.

Heck i remember the first time i dialed up a modem at 9600BPS to connect to a friends PC. Here i sit with my broadband at 4Mb/s...

I can remember when Sanskrit was invented :p

@pro2A Thanks for the memories tour !

I remember in high school, we got the encyclopidia n CD rom.. Each disk had a case, like a 3 1/2 did.

The best part of early windows...... GORRILLA!
gorilla2_b.jpg

Note.. not the original version shown.

I feel like I'm standing in the shadow of you all, the oldest I ever used was W '95 :p And even then I was only 3/4 years old (and playing Doom).

lol i feel the same way :| but my parent's also had some old computer (can't think of the name) that me and sister would play games on and it used 5-1/4 floppies :\ so i'm sure it was kinda old

lol i feel the same way :| but my parent's also had some old computer (can't think of the name) that me and sister would play games on and it used 5-1/4 floppies :\ so i'm sure it was kinda old

Ya I remember the pre-windows floppies. We had another computer from circa 1990's that in order to load games you had to use one of those 8 inch floppies. Then you had to boot the program from DOS using a command line.

I'm only 26... my dad taught me how to load game with command lines when I was 8 :wink_tongue:

No wonder I'm the computer geek I am now :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom