Transfer XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintox

Daemon Poster
i have windows xp home on one computer, now my question is:

if i build a computer, can i take xp off of my old one and put it on my new one? (i know i wouldnt be able to use the old one)

You can but you might have driver conflicts with your new mobo and other devices unless you are transfering everything over. I've done it before, got a few errors but it was workable. Eventually, I re-installed.

well i mean, i'd be a new HD and stuff

also, its legal, right? i dunno why it wouldnt be for its not like i am using 2 of them

You can try, it should work but if I were doing it again,
I'd just re-install everything to have a stable machine. I don't see why it wouldn't be legal. Who's going to know anyways? Nothing to worry about.

Its perfectly legal. Basically, the EULA states that you may use the software on another system/workstation, but you must remove the software from the other workstation. You may also transfer the EULA to another person one time ONLY. Meaning, you can give it to someone else and they can activate it, but they cannot not do the same because there is a one licsense agreement transfer limit. After words, I believe a EULA has to be paid for.

So if I were to use my XP pro from my office (with permission) I would be able to install it on my new machine and activate it and everything?

wolf_rtfeula.gif

Depending on your copy (read your EULA) you could even not have the ability to install it again.

Most Windows licenses allow you to have it installed on two machines simultaneously (like your PC and your laptop).

So (older) ones, don't allow this.

Others are like student trials or OEM limited licenses that allow for only 2 activations and then it's worthless.

Read your EULA, and if worst comes to worst...you can just try it and see what happens. If it activates, it activates. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

You should be fine. Relax, and be smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom