System Restore

spacecadet11

In Runtime
Hello. I am using Windows 7. When I check the SR facility..it has 'supposed' restore points.

The list is very limited...date wise only yesterday. Why is that? I want the computer to be able to restore to 'much' earlier times when everything is well.

What do I have to change.

Question #2. Somewhat lazy question..sort of. How can a person tell from the start screen whether he is using the computer as an administrator or a 'user'?

Thanks
SC

Restore points are based off of when the computer is scheduled to create those restore points. Generally speaking windows 7 creates restore points before updates and installation of new programs. If you look at the list - more than likely those points were created when something occurred on the PC like an update. You many only be seeing a few restore points too because windows allocates only so much space to restore points. Right click computer and go to properties, then select Advanced System Settings from the left. Once there go to System Protection and you can allocate space and manually create restore points.

Please keep in mind restore points are not a viable solution for malware or virus's - generally speaking restore points are the first things either deleted or infected when you get a virus. DO NOT use restore points if you do get a virus or malware (my humble opinion).

From the start screen - if you click your icon at the top right it will bring up the control panel outlining if you are a user or admin.

Hello. I clicked advanced settings...then I went to system protection - then I went down and I had to press the 'configure' button. Once there I saw that the button was pressed that had system protection turned off. Does this mean that by default...Windows 7 has this turned off?

I simply turned on system protection. Does that simply mean that its now going to start creating restore points?
Do I now have to manually adjust (create) disk space for this to happen because there is a 'button' or (option) that you are able to 'use' to do so?

Last edited:
Yes, it will start creating restore points now. You may want to monitor and see how much it is taking up, generally with today's hard drive sizes you won't need to allocate more then 5% or so, but if you have a smaller SSD for your OS drive, you may want to allocate less.

A system restore point only contains the files (and registry entries, etc) that were changed. Or rather, the files BEFORE the changes so you can go back to them.

Hello. Is it a simple matter to download off the internet a system restore program that is better than the program I got associated with Windows 7 ?.

How do you 'allocate' how much the program is going to use? The 'interface' of info. is 'obscure'..not great..hard to work with.......

Last edited:
Hello. Is it a simple matter to download off the internet a system restore program that is better than the program I got associated with Windows 7 ?.

How do you 'allocate' how much the program is going to use? The 'interface' of info. is 'obscure'..not great..hard to work with.......

Start -> Right click 'Computer' -> Properties -> on the left-panel, click 'System Protection' -> 'Configure...' button -> under 'Disk Space Usage' you can allocate the % of disk space it will use.

To answer your "lazy" question, just open up your start screen and click on the user account Image. This should be located in the top right of the Start Menu like the fish in the example below.

68440ea7-68ec-4e2f-ad4f-b33006455983_14.png

Secondly, if you do not have any previous restore points aside from your option of "yesterday", you cannot go back any further into the past because your system has not completed any system backups for previous dates. The only option you have is to create System Restore Points for future dates. I'd recommend creating a System Restore Point everytime that you install a program or once a week or so.

To create a System Restore Point you need to do the following steps.
  1. Go to your Start Menu.
  2. Type in the search box "Create a restore point."
  3. A window will come up named "System Properties" and at the bottom of that window you'll see the buttons "Configure..." and "Create...", in which you'll hit the "Create..." button.
  4. This final step will ask you to type a short description that will help you identifity your restore point. You should type something like "(Program Name) Installed".
  5. After that System Restore Point has completed, you should have that date set for your to restore your system too for whatever reason in the future.

Hope this helps!
Mouse Pad Computer Shop

Start -> Right click 'Computer' -> Properties -> on the left-panel, click 'System Protection' -> 'Configure...' button -> under 'Disk Space Usage' you can allocate the % of disk space it will use.

He's asking how to allocate the amount of memory that a program has, not a Hard Disc.

If you are wanting to allocate the memory amount to an program, you will have to get pretty technical.

All programs use your RAM (Random Accessed Memory) and will take the amount they need (Generally Speaking). Some programs are limited to the amount of RAM they can use which is difficult to edit.

If you have a program that is using a lot of your system memory, about the easiest way to allocate it more memory is to prioritize it. You can do so by following these steps.

1. Startup the program you want to allocate more memory too.
  2. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete.
  3. Go to your Task Manager.
  4. Find your program you want to allocate more memory too.
  5. Right click it and select the option "Go to process".
  6. Your program's process should be highlighted. Now, Right click that process and hover of the option "Set Priority..." and click the "High" priority. If your computer can handle it, you should use the priority "Real Time".
  7. Now, your program should have the highest priority to the RAM your computer has and it should run more efficiently.

Alternatively, you can go to your processes and eliminate processes that you know for a fact are programs that you do not need or using. An example program would be "dropbox.exe". These programs run in the background and use up your computer's RAM.

*Note: If you remove system processes such as "explorer", things that aren't supposed to happen, happen. So be careful. If you accidentally do this, don't panic! You simply closed that program that was supposed to be running. If you return to your "Applications" tab, you can simply hit "New Task..." at the bottom right of the windows and type that process and everything should return to normal. If you do not remember the process name, you can hit the Home key on your keyboard and restart your computer there.

If your home Home key doesn't respond, you can hard shut down your computer. This isn't recommended as it may harm your computer, but is likely your only option at the time.

I hope you find this post informational and if has helped you, please hit the "Thanks" button!

Until next time,
Mouse Pad Computer Shop

He's asking how to allocate the amount of memory that a program has, not a Hard Disc.

*snip*

I hope you find this post informational and if has helped you, please hit the "Thanks" button!

Until next time,
Mouse Pad Computer Shop

By "program" OP meant the amount of space System Restore will take up; so he "did" indeed mean storage space rather than actual memory space. Especially since that's what maarten mentioned already, as well (about disk space usage).

I'm used to how SpaceCadet asks questions (not very technical), so I believe I have a pretty good grasp on how to properly interpret his questions (no offense meant to you, SpaceCadet).

By "program" OP meant the amount of space System Restore will take up; so he "did" indeed mean storage space rather than actual memory space. Especially since that's what maarten mentioned already, as well (about disk space usage).

I'm used to how SpaceCadet asks questions (not very technical), so I believe I have a pretty good grasp on how to properly interpret his questions (no offense meant to you, SpaceCadet).

I think I may have offended you. I'm sorry, this was not my intent at all. I was just agreeing with what you had said but suggesting another answer. I must have misinterpreted his question myself.

I'm sorry if I offended you.

Back
Top Bottom