System cant open COM port required by Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

dekkaX

Solid State Member
Hey everyone.

Im trying to run an MS-Dos Applicatio in cmpability mode with win98 and Im using win XP. I get this error "System cant open COM port required by Application".

Anyone encountered that before?

When this application is run in win 98 itself it works fine. The ports are installed correctly.

Thanx in advance.

A prog my Motorola to load frequencies into radios... nothing widespread.

Try using something more uptodate... I think only way to overcome the error the using of the win 98.

If it doesnt work in compatibility mode chances are that it wont work. Unless you run a Virtual Machine of Win98SE and use the software that way. You will have to try and find a more up to date version that is XP compatible.

Try using something more uptodate... I think only way to overcome the error the using of the win 98.

We were doing that before, the idea behind running the soft in XP is to actualy advance to XP instead of running it in 98... also the 98 system just failed.

Mak213, there is no newer version for frequency loading. I was surprised too, but since the current one does the job, it makes sence.

What does the vendor of the software say? You cannot be the first company to try to run their software on xp.

What does the vendor of the software say? You cannot be the first company to try to run their software on xp.

We are definitely not the first.. and not the first to fail too. Motorola says the program Maxtrac should be run in Win98.
So after some time the whole team decided it would be better (and less time consuming) to go to the old configuration of 98 and XP on one pc and get those in charge of radios of our backs.

At least we tried...

About 3 years ago I had to build a Dos 6.22 machine for a production company because that was the only OS their printer would work on. Go figure. At least you came up with a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom