Slow computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Router ≠ modem. The modem would most likely be what Verizon checked, unless you are renting/leasing a gateway from them. The router would be the device between the modem (connected to the incoming line) and you computer.

The above suggestions were trying to say to reboot your modem and/or router. Unplug them for at least 30 seconds, and then plug them back up. Verizon should have had you do this as part of the troubleshooting.

Peter's suggestion was to reset the modem/router to factory presets. There is usually a button in the back that you have to use a pen or something similar to push to do this. Unless you know what the proper settings are, I would suggest accessing Verizon's website and printing off the pages the explain them first... unless you just want to call their tech support and have them walk you through it all again.

If you are using a router, trying taking it out of the loop and running directly to your modem. That would rule it out if it is not the problem.

Oh, and your email is not accepting messages from Tech-Forums, or the address you have on your profile is incorrect, as I received a bounced email about this thread.

My email:galic01@msn.com
Ido not know why i did not recived your mail, since i'm getting mail from other people, bur i have problems sending it. It keeps sanding mail.

Just clarifying. Then scan your system with Osiris's Guide.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/spyware-removal-guide-osiris-165828/

Is't this a Spy ware program? I have Spy Sweeper installed. My computer is clean of spys and virus.

download ccleaner
ccleaner

run the registry cleaner. Honestly, it's done wonders on just about every computer in my house. Clears up the 'general' slowness nicely.

Okay if you think that 1 spyware application is capable of catching all known spyware infections out there, sorry but that is insane. There is no way that Spy Sweeper catches everything. Not even the best Anti-Virus solution out there catches all Viruses. The top catch rate is only in the 90% range. That still leaves 10% of viruses that can still infect your system.

That number goes up with spyware. Just check around google and look at some of the results on spyware catch rates and virus catch rates. You will be shocked at the results.

download ccleaner
ccleaner

run the registry cleaner. Honestly, it's done wonders on just about every computer in my house. Clears up the 'general' slowness nicely.

I di, i run it and still the same.
Let me change that. I think is worst now.

Okay if you think that 1 spyware application is capable of catching all known spyware infections out there, sorry but that is insane. There is no way that Spy Sweeper catches everything. Not even the best Anti-Virus solution out there catches all Viruses. The top catch rate is only in the 90% range. That still leaves 10% of viruses that can still infect your system.

That number goes up with spyware. Just check around google and look at some of the results on spyware catch rates and virus catch rates. You will be shocked at the results.

What would you want me to do? buy more programs? more anti virus? Just how many can you run at the same time? I just downloaded a register cleaner and now its even slower.

get a video card

Sorry i gave you the wrong info. my video card is an Nvidia 8800 GT 500mb.

No. There are plenty of free solutions out there that work jsut fine. I never said a word about buying more products. I am saying that using just Spy Sweeper and Kaspersky and saying your system is clean might not be the case.

Everything listed in the Guide is either free or has a 30 day trial that you can use the full version for this purpose and then remove if you wish. Or you could reinstall it after 30 days and get to keep using it.

You should only run 1 AV. Kaspersky is good. I would stick with that. But i would do a HiJack This log and post it up for review in our Analyze area just to make sure that it is clean. As some things can pass a scan.

No. There are plenty of free solutions out there that work jsut fine. I never said a word about buying more products. I am saying that using just Spy Sweeper and Kaspersky and saying your system is clean might not be the case.

Everything listed in the Guide is either free or has a 30 day trial that you can use the full version for this purpose and then remove if you wish. Or you could reinstall it after 30 days and get to keep using it.

You should only run 1 AV. Kaspersky is good. I would stick with that. But i would do a HiJack This log and post it up for review in our Analyze area just to make sure that it is clean. As some things can pass a scan.

Hijack this. How do i get it? www.hijack this.com will do it? I'm going to try it.
I went to that web site, they offer the same spy Sweeper that i already have.

di, i run it and still the same.
Let me change that. I think is worst now.

crikey, that's a first! I would've staked everything on that working.
did it find anything wrong at all? usually on good computers that are running slow it finds around 300-400 entries in the registry left over from old/obselete programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom