Several Anoying Windows XP Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack10525

Baseband Member
Ok I have built many pc's in the 10 years and installed windows probably a few thousand times. This is just to let you know that I am not a complete noob. :D

Anyway on my current desktop pc I have Windows XP sp3 which is current with all updates. Just recently (like within the last 2 weeks) I have noticed that when I restart the pc my quick launch icons are gone. The checkbox is unchecked in Taskbar and Start Menu properties. When I recheck the box to bring them back they are in the reverse order from the way I had them set. I have done numerous virus/spyware scans and they have come back clean. This is driving me nuts. Has anybody else seen this and figure out a fix?

Next issue. I am using firefox as my browser with MSN as my homepage. When I open a new browser window or new tab the focus of the cursor starts in the Google search bar at the top right of the browser window. Within about 3 seconds the focus shifts to the MSN search bar towards the middle top of the browser window. I have noticed this for a few weeks now but can not remember when it started.

Thanks for any help here.

Issue 1. Your profile is not saving properly. Create a new profile and see if this still occurs.

Issue 2. This is because MSN takes time to load up with all of the stuff they have on the page. Plus since your using Firefox and not IE the site has to decode the coding of the site to apply what can be applied and what cant. Even in my setup it takes a good second or 2 to get the cursor placed right.

It could also be due to something with where your new tab button is located if you use it, could be due to the double click. Could just be that you have Windows setup to go to the first active text field in the Mouse and Keyboard settings.

Issue 1: You also may want to try to install the windows profile cleanup utility. That has fixed many profile errors for me in the past. If that does not work then I usually do just recreate the profile. I have also seen where the quick launch bar breaks completely. I usually just recreate the quick launch toolbar by right clicking on the taskbar->toolsbars->new tools bar (make sure you unlock the taskbar)->Click New Folder and call it whatever (qlaunch for example)->right click the new toolbar and uncheck show title and show text->also choose small icons from the views option in the toolbar menu->just drag and drop the programs you want to be in your new quick launch toolbar. If you want to recreate the Show Desktop button do the following:

Click Start, click Run, type notepad in the Open box, and then click OK.
Carefully copy and then paste the following text into the Notepad window:
[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop
On the File menu, click Save As, and then save the file to your desktop as "Show desktop.scf". The Show desktop icon is created on your desktop.
Click and then drag the Show desktop icon to your Quick Launch toolbar.

Ace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom