Service Pack 3. Downloaded but not installed. Now I can't find it to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyual767

In Runtime
Service pack 3 was downloaded and when I went to install it, it wouldn't install because my Toshiba laptop was on battery power and wasn't plugged in. This is the second time this has happened in two or three days :rolleyes: .

I'm assuming that SP3 is in my computer somewhere but I can't find it. I'd like to go ahead and install it assuming its still in my computer.

Is it a legit copy of windows ?
I have seen that update with download but not install on copy of windows that are not legit (or seem to be not legit via serial number)

Try downloading the Windows Xp SP3 from Microsoft Website and install in manually. I am not sure where Windows caches it's downloaded updates.

Do a search for
WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

I just ran that search and it turned up nothing. I guess it deleted off my computer when it wouldn't install due to being on battery power.

Is it a legit copy of windows ?
I have seen that update with download but not install on copy of windows that are not legit (or seem to be not legit via serial number)

Try downloading the Windows Xp SP3 from Microsoft Website and install in manually. I am not sure where Windows caches it's downloaded updates.

It is a legit copy however I haven't been able to validate it since Microsoft won't take my legit serial number. I found out that if you use it too many times, you get "locked out" or "expired." I've reformatted several times including twice in the last 10 days due to picking up viruses :mad: .

I need to call Microsoft and tell them what happened. I've been told on this forum in another thread that this is what I need to do. MS will then validate it for me, right?

I need to call Microsoft and tell them what happened. I've been told on this forum in another thread that this is what I need to do. MS will then validate it for me, right?

Just tell them your hard drive died and you had to re-install if they ask. You shouldn't have any problems, I've done this at least a dozen times :D

Well that is why SP3 wont install. It needs a ACTIVATED copy of XP to install. Call them then it will download and install.

Just tell them your hard drive died and you had to re-install if they ask. You shouldn't have any problems, I've done this at least a dozen times :D

posted by Mak213,
Well that is why SP3 wont install. It needs a ACTIVATED copy of XP to install. Call them then it will download and install.

That explains it. I'm gonna call them and get this taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom