Saving pictures in jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark33

In Runtime
What is the difference between saving pictures in bmp or jpg? When i save pictures i normally append the extention to jpg from bmp. Why is it better to save pictures in Jpeg format?

jpg has better quality and bmp is only realy used by MSpaint as a legitimate form of image format.

Very Interesting! I see!

Within MSPaint - i captured my desktop and saved it as:

a) Bmp
b) Jpg

The Bmp size was over 3 megabytes!
The Jpg size was only 281 KB!

The difference in quality was non-existant to my eyes. This is useful for sending pictures via email, as who in their right mind would send a 3 megabtye photo attachement. Especially considering there is no quality loss unless you edit the orignal and keep resaving it.

Thanks for your help!:D

really, you don't notice? I'm shocked that some people can't notice a difference ... Especially right when saving the file ... I suppose it depends on the picture too, but I can't generally see a difference in most cases ... Maybe I'm part alien ....

Oh and office politics, your end quote has a \ and needs a /

maybe your right Dr IP - ive opened up paint twice, tiles both images vertically on screen and this is my findings:-

There is a loss of colour quality on jpg compared to bmp - but only upon close examination! The difference is not worth the varience in file sizes though (if that makes sense!)

There is some fine pixelation in JPEG formats that you will notice. BMP is good but i prefer PNG.

JPEG is used for compression. IT is highly compress to have the same pictures in a smaller size.

BMP has no compress. But is very basic in what it can do.

PNG is to me teh best cause yo ucan do just about anything with it. IT will even do transparency within a pic. BMP will give you that area as a white background.

PNG also saves in a large format but it is still a bit smaller than BMP. I can save a full 2960x1050 screen shot in PNG and still be under the 1.5MB mark of Imageshack. A BMP can not do that.

PNG is the best format to use since it can do some compression but at the same time keep the overall quality the best. At least for still photos. GIF would ahev to be used for animated and that is a different story...

There is some fine pixelation in JPEG formats that you will notice. BMP is good but i prefer PNG.

JPEG is used for compression. IT is highly compress to have the same pictures in a smaller size.

BMP has no compress. But is very basic in what it can do.

PNG is to me teh best cause yo ucan do just about anything with it. IT will even do transparency within a pic. BMP will give you that area as a white background.

PNG also saves in a large format but it is still a bit smaller than BMP. I can save a full 2960x1050 screen shot in PNG and still be under the 1.5MB mark of Imageshack. A BMP can not do that.

PNG is the best format to use since it can do some compression but at the same time keep the overall quality the best. At least for still photos. GIF would ahev to be used for animated and that is a different story...
Agreed that PNG is the best format to use. Can give relatively decent file sizes, but the quality is still better than JPG. I wish PNG would take off more, especially in digital cameras.

I wish GIF had better color support, would be better for animations and such. Or if PNG could do animation that would be even better lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom