Return Computer to Factory Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

david0987

Beta member
Hi,
I want to 'return my computer to factory settings' (due to virus/trojans that seems to show up every couple of days no matter how many anti spyware/malware/virus scans I run – first obtained from clicking on a picture on google images which gave me the windows 7 recovery virus which I have now deleted, but other trojans/infections show up every couple of days when I scan. I now have superanti/malware bytes/avira but still getting an infection showing up every couple of days. I also found that mcafee security was no good and it was this that let the virus get through)... There is a Windows 7 certificate of authentication on the side of my PC. If I choose the 'RETURN YOUR COMPUTER TO FACTORY CONDITION,' option:
Question 1. Will it delete the virus/infection?
Question 2. Will windows 7 still be on my computer? The boxed, new PC was bought 2 weeks ago and there was no recovery disk – just blank DVD-R disks. (There are two hard drive images showing on my PC – The Acer C Drive says 112GB free of 142GB and and Data D Drive says 142GB free of 142GB.
Question 3. When it asks, 'do I need to back up my files?' if I proceed with 'RETURN YOUR COMPUTER TO FACTORY SETTINGS' - does that mean it will delete the files that came with the PC when it was bought. I don't really have any files on there I made myself as the PC is new (2 weeks old).
Question 4. Apparently a windows.old folder will be created form the users file if I 'return to factory condition,' and I am worried the virus may be hidden (or moves into)in that user file. Can I delete the windows.old folder after the computer has been rebooted without damaging the PC or the operating system?
Many thanks for any feedback.

#1, it might. It depends on if the virus has infected the factory restore image or not. If the Recovery partition is hidden then you have a good shot that it will remove it, but if the recovery partition is not hidden your factory setting could be infected as well.

#2, yes it has to be. Only way to restore it is to have it be exactly how it was when you opened the box. That is why it is called a factory restore. It is how it was when it left the factory and you opened it.

#3, it will not delete the files that were on there, just the things you added since. Goes back to how it was when it left the factory.

#4, no. The Windows.old folder is only going to be your current files placed into this file so that you can do what you wish with the file. The Virus can still be there but it wont do anything cause that install will no longer be active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom