Retrieve Windows key from outside Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Gonna be working on my mom's computer tomorrow. From what she has described, some files in Windows are corrupt and not letting it completely boot. it gets to or just beyond the splash screen, and that's it. I haven't laid eyes on it yet, but it sounds that way to me.

If I have to do a repair installation on it, I will need the Windows key from within Windows itself. Magic Jellybean won't work, as it works from inside Windows. I need a tool that will let me get the key as well as where I should look for it.

I have ERD Commander and Knoppix, if they would work. If I need something else, I hope it is small or she will have to wait a day or so.

Found this in tips & tricks not sure if it will work It will run off a flash drive

http://www.techist.com/forums/f27/windows-product-key-license-finder-183541/

Also found this at its web site FAQ >Klinzmann.name

My system is damaged. How to find out the serial numbers, if the computer can't boot again?

"There is a way. All you need a bootable CD-ROM or USB stick.
Start Linux or BartPE and save the following file: Windows\System32\Config\software (no extension)
Open Regedit: (WIN+R) enter regedit
In the Registry editor use "load hive..." to bind the file "software"
run the LicenseCrawler
Regedit "unload hive..."

Building a BartPE with ProduKey right now... I guess I'll see how that works.

Ended up not using anything. :p

It would get just past the splash screen flash up a BSOD and reboot. I went into the BIOS to have it halt, rebooted, it went through CHKDSK and now runs just fine. Go figure.

I went ahead and used System Restore to move it back to a day last week, as I am not sure what caused the problem. once it booted up, it wanted to report a serious error for each time both my mom and I tried to boot it. :D Gotta love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom