Reinstalling Windows XP without the CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex381

Beta member
Hi,

I have Windows XP Home edition on my laptop. I think it's come to the time where I want to reinstall windows to get some performance back! However, as with a lot of computers these days, my laptop didn't come with an installation CD, or any instructions on how to create master CDs.

Is there anyway, other than purchasing new CDs or borrowing someone else's as I don't know anyone else who will have it, that I can use the files on my laptop (I read somewhere about using the winnt32.exe file in the I386 folder on my C: drive) to completely reinstall windows?

This is a legitimate copy of Windows, I was just not supplied with any installation CDs, and I do have my serial number for my copy of windows.

I'm not a beginner when it comes to computers, but nor am I an expert of any sort! I have already backed up all my personal files, and I'm sure that I will be able to find any drivers that I need on the web, so i'm not particularly worried about that (as long as I can connect to the web afterwards!).

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanking you all in advance.

IMO the easiest way would be to use a torrent download (legal if used correctly) since you already have the correct CD key.

You'll have to download the file, burn the .ISO, then reinstall windows.

If this is a dell computer they have a hidden partition that you can access by pressing crtl and F11 at boot (i think).

You could try calling the company that made the laptop and see if they will send you the cd's.

I know a few people that had Dell's that didn't come with any cd's. They called Dell and they sent them out at no charge. They should have come with the computer in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom