Reformat Issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to fjf314
Default Reformat Issue

Last night I reformatted my PC with Windows XP Media Center Edition. I deleted all of the existing partitions on my system and formatted the entire HDD for XP. The installation went through fine. The only issue is that when I boot up my PC now, a Boot Menu comes up giving me two different versions of Windows XP Media Center Edition to choose from. The first choice is the installation that I just did and works fine. I don't know where the second choice came from and it does not work.

At first, I just assumed that despite deleting all of my previous patitions and formatting the entire drive, somehow my previous install of XP was left over. So I booted to GParted Live thinking that I would just use that to delete whatever little partition was left over. However, the only partition that shows up is the one that my fresh install of XP is on.

A friend of mine who I talked to earlier today said that he experienced a similar glitch when reformatting with XP before. While the second, non-working version of XP isn't really hurting anything, it's just wasting space and it's annoying to have to press enter right after the BIOS screen every time that I reboot.

I did some Google searches for advice and came up with the following site:

http://www.cyberwalker.com/faqs/rein...copies-xp.html

As I said, though, I don't have a second partition, only one. So that solution is not working. If anyone has some advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics

modify your boot.ini file through system properties, advanced tab > startup & recovery settings
mine looks like this

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Old 11-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

That would set my machine to boot from the working version of Windows XP, but the second, non-working version would still actually exist, correct?
Old 11-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics

how many folders named windows can you find?

prolly just a fluke. i'd just edit the ini.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

go to start run, type msconfig. go to boot.ini there. check "check the boot paths" option. it will ask you if you want to remove it. say yes
Old 11-07-2006, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by EricB
go to start run, type msconfig. go to boot.ini there. check "check the boot paths" option. it will ask you if you want to remove it. say yes
Alright, that was easy enough. Thanks for the help guys!