Recovering files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexluethar

Fully Optimized
I have a SATA drive that i'm trying to recover data from. It was originally in an HP desktop. The drive isn't bootable and no matter what will give you the BSOD. THe drive is failing per the BSOD and all diagnostic tools i've used on it.

I've hooked up an external adapter to it so now i can see the drive on my desktop. The problem is that it says 'access denied'. I know this is because the computer wasn't properly shut down before but there was no way of getting around that (the PC would just constantly BSOD).

Any way of access the drive? I'm researching now but i figured someone could point me in the right direction.

Well a Linux LiveCD will be out since the system wasnt shut down right. You might get lucky with a BartPE or Hirens CD. But other than that i dont know if you will be able to get access.

Id say there is almost no way to get at that data with out a really good recovery program. Not sure what that would be off the top of my head, but the ones that can do it probably are not free.

I found one place that said to perform a backup of the drive onto your computer, then restore that backup back to your computer and that will give you access.

So far it is working, using windows 7 backup i'm backing up the drive that was saying access denied to my local drive. I can see in the details it actually is reading the files (right now its copying itunes music over). So this may work... Because after i get the data off the drive it should be straight forward in recovering it. The main hurdle was getting past the access denied.

Please keep the ideas coming though - i'm not sure if this will work in the end anyways.

unstoppable copier maybe? i know it's not exactly for data recovery but i've used it for something similar in the past and it worked fine.

What about a straight up format and recovery with Recuva or something like that? I know it isnt always the best option as not all files might be recovered. But in the end the main hurtle is getting around the fact that Windows crashed and there is no way to force it to shut down properly to access the data.

I may try that - i'm waiting for this backup to complete to see if this works. LIke i said it is reading the files - i can see in the details the files and folders it is copying and they are the same ones that were on the drive.

What about a straight up format and recovery with Recuva or something like that? I know it isnt always the best option as not all files might be recovered. But in the end the main hurtle is getting around the fact that Windows crashed and there is no way to force it to shut down properly to access the data.

haha, that sounds super-bold. if you decide to go that route though, i'd suggest easy recovery pro. there was a misunderstanding between a customer and another employee at work and i ended up with a work order to format two hard drives in a system and reinstall the os on the smaller one, without backing up the data. it turns out, the customer declined a data backup because he was backing up to his second drive, which was erased. ultimately, i had to use easy recovery pro to retrieve the data and it worked flawlessly and relatively fast too.

edit:
if i remember correctly, about 6 months ago there was a trial or something available for download on their website.

No it isnt super bold. It is actually the smartest thing to do. If you cant access the files due to a permission error, then eliminate the hurtle in the way. Format the drive is something that is quick and easy and from there using recovery software is simple.

I recommended Recuva cause if you check this site, you will see that 95% or more of the people who have used it have had a 100% recovery rate. Not only that but it is FREE everyday, all day.

No it isnt super bold. It is actually the smartest thing to do. If you cant access the files due to a permission error, then eliminate the hurtle in the way. Format the drive is something that is quick and easy and from there using recovery software is simple.

I recommended Recuva cause if you check this site, you will see that 95% or more of the people who have used it have had a 100% recovery rate. Not only that but it is FREE everyday, all day.

deleting my data would not be my first decision, but yeah, it makes perfect sense.

as for recuva, i've never used it. but i'm definitely interested now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom