Recovering email from Outlook on crashed comp - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Recovering email from Outlook on crashed comp

My laptop crashed about a week ago and I've since bought a new one. But the hard drive is still ok (from what a computer tech told me) and I have a HD enclosure that I'm going to put it in later today. So assuming that I will have access to the HD, my question is:

How do I get to my emails that were in outlook on the old computer? I don't have outlook or anything like that on the new one. Is there a file or group of files that contain the contents of my Inbox, and if so, what will I need to open it?

And I'm pretty sure it doesn't work this way, after plugging the old HD into my USB port with the enclosure, will I be able to run outlook? If it does work that way then I guess I wouldn't need to know the answer to the other question since I could just grab the emails I need.

Thanks.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN
Default Re: Recovering email from Outlook on crashed comp

Default location for the .pst file is C:\Documents and Settings\user_id\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

You will need to import that into Outlook on your new computer. Outlook will need to be installed onto the workstation.

(make sure you show hidden files)

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 12-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

OK, I finally got into the old HD and copied the outlook.pst file to my new system. But now I have a new problem.

I don't have outlook on the new comp because I bought Home and Student Office, and I dont particularly want to install the entire office pro trial.

Is there a freeware viewer out there that just lets you open pst files and then drag those over to microsoft mail?
Old 12-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

"It's not possible to directly import .PST files into any
Microsoft-provided email clients ( such as Outlook Express or Windows
Mail) unless Outlook is installed in a Microsoft OS) without using a
third-party email conversion utility."

How do I import PST files into Windows Mail? - Vista x64 Forums

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Closed Thread