Receiving Fax to PC on a Network - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Receiving Fax to PC on a Network

The printer is located in the living, installed on my brother's computer. I've set the printer to shared, on the network, so I'm able to print from my room. But is there a way that I can receive fax to my computer?

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 03-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Receiving Fax to PC on a Network

I am guessing you dont have a phone line or a modem hooked up right? If no phone line no fax as there is no way they can call you machine and hook up for a fax. Plus you would have to make sure your modem was a fax modem as well in order for that to work.

If you have any phone lines connected to a PC that has a fax modem then yes you can recieve a fax. Just have to dial the line number hooked up to the PC and make sure the PC is set to recieve the calls for fax.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Ah, I see. I was looking around the printer folder, and on the side bar, it says "See what's printing." So I waited for a fax to see if this will work. It attempts on previewing the fax being printed in the living room, but it fails a few seconds in. Is it because the living room computer has to be on?...because usually the computer is on stand by at night, when the faxes usually arrive.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 03-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Most likely. Since it is trying to access the file on that PC when it isnt currently active that could be why it failed.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Sorry to necropost, but just an update of what I've done so far.

Luckily I found a modem PCI card lying around, and also found the drivers for it. So I have this phone line splitter hooked at the cable modem, with one going to the phone out in the living room (that's connected to the printer), and the other is going to the modem that I just installed in my rig.

Fax is received fine, but the problem is, when the fax is multiple paged, I can only view the first page of the fax. I tried looking for an option to show me all the pages, but couldn't see any.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

On that one i do not know. I have not used the Fax software included with Windows in such a long time that i can not honestly remember.

How to Install and Use Microsoft Fax

Maybe that will be of more service?

Closed Thread