reading minidumps files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromos1048

Baseband Member
Okay, so the full range of my problem can be found in Hardware Troubleshooting section section, under "unexplainable pc problem".

I have a lot of mindump files and I feel that they are the key to figuring out why I keep getting BSODs. The problem is that they are symbols and stuff I can't understand. How do I translate it into something I can understand? I have MS's debugging tools for windows, but it says I need the symbol list in order to use it properly, but when I try to download it, I get a BSOD referring to bad pool header or caller. So I can't download that.

Is there another way to read minidumps?

Thanks in advance.

You need more than just the debugging tools. You need WinDBG. That along with the symbol packs.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/DevTools/Debugging/default.mspx

First you download and install the WinDBG. From there you download and install the appropriate Symbols pack.

Then you associate the symbols pack in the WinDBG thru the File Symbols path. Then you can finally open the MiniDump. But it still wont be straight forward. If you do not know how to read them it will be like trying to read a HiJack This log.

I know how to read them easily. I can give you teh process and just about any information from them you want. I have been reading minidumps for a few years now. ;)

I'm getting better at it...have only been reading them for about 6 months or so though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom