Random blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsteffens

Contributor
Hey guys my rig has been running pretty smooth but lately it's been giving me more blue screen of death deals.

I have the abit IP35E board with the intel core 2 quad Q6600 processor, Nvidia GEForce 8800 GTS video card with two sticks of 1 gb each crucial ballistix RAM.

Lately if I leave it on and walk away (as in it goes to screen saver and then I presume sleep) SOMETIMES I will return to the screen completely blue, sometimes it will be fine.

Any idea where I should start looking for issues? Under normal conditions the thing runs smooth as glass.

We need the BSOD codes. It should be a Stop Error code. It will look like this:

0x000000ZZ Those are Zeros not O's.

The ZZ represents a alpha numeric code. That will help us help you on what is going on. If the BSOD flash to fast turn off auto restart.

What OS you running for correct instructions on how to do that?

We need the BSOD codes. It should be a Stop Error code. It will look like this:

0x000000ZZ Those are Zeros not O's.

The ZZ represents a alpha numeric code. That will help us help you on what is going on. If the BSOD flash to fast turn off auto restart.

What OS you running for correct instructions on how to do that?

Where will I find those numbers/letters?

oops my bad I'm running XP pro. I like it it works great for my gaming.

Those are right on the BSOD screen. Cant miss them they are in all CAPS. ;)

Right click My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings (?) In there uncheck the box for auto restart on system failure.

It should be around there. Going by memory. So it might be a bit off on whic tab. But the Startup and Recovery section is what you want.

Okay, well the blue screen contains no lettering. I looked all over the screen (LOL) and there were no letters. It does not automatically restart either, it just sits there as blank blue.

Got a camera handy? Can you take a pic of it? Also check in the C:\Windows\minidump area if it is there see if there are any files with recent dates located there.

This could be a issue with heat as well. Could be a failing drive.

Got a camera handy? Can you take a pic of it? Also check in the C:\Windows\minidump area if it is there see if there are any files with recent dates located there.

This could be a issue with heat as well. Could be a failing drive.

picture of what?

I'll check that minidump thing... could not find it?

What drive you think could be failing? HD?

Need a picture of the BSOD. ;)

Could be the hard drive. Could be your GPU or CPU overheating. Just guesses really without getting any kind of error code.

Need a picture of the BSOD. ;)

Could be the hard drive. Could be your GPU or CPU overheating. Just guesses really without getting any kind of error code.

Okay well next time it gives me a BSOD I will snap a picture, because it just sits there grinning at me like a stupid computer. :p

As for the CPU last time I checked it's running at about 40C I believe. I have a really good cooling setup for what it is, and I have over clocked nothing, and don't really plan to. I guess maybe I could turn up some of the fan speeds on the case?

Get ATiTool and check your GPU temps. The CPU sounds good. Try running something like MemTest86 as well to check your RAM. Lets just start going down the list of things that we can test to rule out some options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom