Programs Stalling in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you run MemTest86? Have you run a stress test on teh CPU? What processes do you have running? What software do you haev loading upon boot? Have you done a in depth spyware/malware/virus removal?

I have downlaoded MemTest86, it appears to need to boot from a floppy, but the PC has no floppy drive.

What is a stress test? Is this something that I could download a program to do for me? Could you recomend one?

What would constitute an in depth spyware/malware/virus removal?

windowstaskmanager.jpg

startup.jpg

Does this tell you what you need to know?

Have you ever noticed the process "explorer.exe" stop responding?

(Due to the crashing of his desktop / windows itself)
I'm thinking we prehaps get him to run a repair guys?

Cheers,

~ Tkey

How would I know if explorer.exe stopped responding? Watching the Task Manager?

Startup repair options / mem diagnostic.....

How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair

That's what I was refering to when I said "repair", sorry for the misunderstanding.

Like i said, we will try other things before trying the format options, however.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

This seems to be talking specifically about problems with startup, should I run it anyway?

Not specifically.
I would like to know if explorer.exe has ever stopped responding to to best of your knowledge.
This would probberly have lost you your taskbar and various other windows components and could steer us on a different track.

Let us know the results of the Vista mem test / anything else that crops up.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Not specifically.
I would like to know if explorer.exe has ever stopped responding to to best of your knowledge.
This would probberly have lost you your taskbar and various other windows components and could steer us on a different track.

Let us know the results of the Vista mem test / anything else that crops up.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

As far as I know explorer.exe had never stopped responding, but as I say I don't really know how I would know. However, at one point Windows itself did seem to 'dissapear' for a moment and all I could see was the wallpaper.

For in-depth spyware/virus removal, please follow our guide:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/spyware-removal-guide-osiris-updated-11-13-2008-a-165828/

As for Memtest86, please download this file: http://www.memtest.org/download/2.10/memtest86+-2.10.iso.zip

And extract the ISO from the .zip archive. Then, if you don't already have an ISO burning software, please download and install ImgBurn, available here: The Official ImgBurn Website and burn the ISO file you extracted before, to a blank CD.

Boot off of the CD (restart your computer, and make sure Boot to CD is selected first in the BIOS, or choose the CD drive from the boot menu). Please run it for at least 4 hours.

Use this guide if you don't know how to use ImgBurn: Burning ISO Images with ImgBurn - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Okay, explorer has certainly stopped responding guys.
This means your problem is either hardware, OS, or an infection and is most likley not related to the software itself.

Definatly run mem test that carnageX has suggested for a considerable amount of time, if possiable, overnight.

Once we have the results from memtest we can then take you through other hardware tests within the windows enviroment if necessary.

Also make sure you complete the appropriate virus removal threads and that you follow the steps carefully.
If some abnormal behaviour is detected during the virus scans please post a new thread in the appropriate forum, certain members will be able to help you better in there.

Let us know how things go.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Run mem test. Since you are not recieving any strange behaviour on startup is is more likley to be a hardware issue.
Still complete the virus removal thread and follow up with any results from mem test after the test is complete.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Mem test is running, I'll let it go for the next 4 hours.

How can I get the results to you guys?

If possiable take a photo with a camera and upload to photobucket (or similar).
I'm not sure if you will be able to add attachments in VBull or not.

Let us know.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Since the mem test has completed one 'pass' I tought I'd post a shot.

1130081818.jpg

Does this mean anything to you guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom