A program/script to start new windows explorer process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_100

Solid State Member
Heres the situation- I play a game has a graphical error in Win 7 unless I end explorer while playing, then its fine.

So far I have been doing this:

Starting game
Ive created a batch file that ends explorer, so thats nice and fast to end the process
After explorer has been killed, go back into game, play for half hour
Finish game, and to get explorer back- Ctrl alt del, new>task>type explorer,

Its a bit lengthy, I was wondering if there is any program out there which can remain open while windows explorer is closed, and when im ready, i can just click a button to restart explorer? or if theres a program/ script i can use to do this? any advice would be appreciated, im a complete programming noob so please speak in laymans terms relatively, thanks.

Hope this makes sense,

What game? This should not be the way it is done. You should be using Compatibilty Mode at least to get the game working properly.

Aside from that there is no program i have seen or heard about over the years that can do what you want.

Just create another batch file that creates a new explorer session.

This wil kill explorer and then restart it. You can tweak it to just start explorer.

@echo off
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
explorer.exe

So one click to end explorer
Play Game
One click to start explorer

3 clicks to complete this instead of 6.

Just create another batch file that creates a new explorer session.

This wil kill explorer and then restart it. You can tweak it to just start explorer.

@echo off
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
explorer.exe

So one click to end explorer
Play Game
One click to start explorer

3 clicks to complete this instead of 6.

thanks loads for your reply, this sounds perfect but would this work? Once explorer is closed, how do I access the batch file to open a new explorer task? all desktop icons disappear? can you think of a way round this?

What game? This should not be the way it is done. You should be using Compatibilty Mode at least to get the game working properly.

Aside from that there is no program i have seen or heard about over the years that can do what you want.

Age of empires 2: the conquerors, trust me, this is the only way to do it after extensive research online, compatibility mode doesnt work in 7, if youre interested, more on it here and on various forums:

Age of Empires II: The Conquerors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
. Killing explorer.exe while the game is loading fixes the problem in Windows 7.

That maybe true for the RC builds but many older games work just fine in the final. Let alone the fact that there is XP Mode as well. There is no reason to do this. There are plenty of alternatives.

That maybe true for the RC builds but many older games work just fine in the final. Let alone the fact that there is XP Mode as well. There is no reason to do this. There are plenty of alternatives.

i have the final version of 7, i wasnt really asking about alterrnatives, i have done extensive research and there unfortunately are none. If someone knows know about running the batch file to start explorer, while explorer is closed, that would be awesome,

Yes there is. XP Mode, Virtual Machines with VMWare, Virtual Box where you run a OS inside of Windows 7 for programs that are not fully compatible. There are solutions other than killing the process. That is a perfectly good alternative it is just one you are unwilling to accept.

Osiris already gave you the batch file in his post above.

You can add a pause after it kills explorer, then once you are done with the game press the enter key to complete the command. The window will stay up.

Yes there is. XP Mode, Virtual Machines with VMWare, Virtual Box where you run a OS inside of Windows 7 for programs that are not fully compatible. There are solutions other than killing the process. That is a perfectly good alternative it is just one you are unwilling to accept.

Osiris already gave you the batch file in his post above.

hmm yes these are options, hadnt thought of XP mode, thanks for suggesting it. If you had read the posts carefully though you willl see i asked:"If someone knows know about running the batch file to start explorer, while explorer is closed, that would be awesome," , which hadnt been explained (but has now!)

You can add a pause after it kills explorer, then once you are done with the game press the enter key to complete the command. The window will stay up.

Thanks again for coming back to me- this is a much simpler option, and what i was after. I did some googling about how to add a pause, and have done it! this is exactly what i need, i cant thank you enough.

Code:
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
C:\game_directory\game.exe
start explorer.exe
by opening the game in the batch file without the start command, the console will wait for the game to close/finish before running the next command (which is to open explorer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom