Profesional to home edition! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Profesional to home edition!

My friend bought one window xp home edtion, i wanna reformat from profesional to home edition, but when i'm going to reformat it appear with this sentance,

This is the instruction given

check for virues on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hartd drive controller. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption then restart your computer.

Common pc when start up press enter it would bring you to a place to reformat but my friend pc never include that ability why?

How do i help him reformat his computer.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

I'm curious as to why you want XP Home over Pro? Is Pro not legit?

Anyways, since you'll be formating you can ignore that virus part, however you could skip the chkdsk part also if you know his hard drive is good. The chkdsk checks for error and bad sectors and advised the OS not to use those sectors. The XP Home CD will format for you. So everything is done in the CD, you can partition your drive if you go into recovery console but that's for advanced users.

Make sure the CD is bootable and that you've set your BIOS boot priority to CD first before hard drive.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

My friend lost his window xp profesional disc, as u know? profesional is much more expensive then window xp home edtion. so he rather buy home edition.

Anyway i'm not really pro in computer stuff, what is blos? i don't really know what u meant. if u are free may you give me for infomation? Explain everything clearer. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2006, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to fjf314

BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System. When you turn on your machine, it's basically what is telling your computer what to load and run first, so generally it gets Windows running for you. I believe the command to access your BIOS depends on the specific machine that you have. Generally it's something like F2 or Del, which you press when the BIOS screen is showing (which is generally right when you turn your computer on.)
Old 10-07-2006, 03:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Profesional to home edition!

Quote:
Originally posted by pc-noobie
My friend bought one window xp home edtion, i wanna reformat from profesional to home edition, but when i'm going to reformat it appear with this sentance,

This is the instruction given

check for virues on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hartd drive controller. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption then restart your computer.

Common pc when start up press enter it would bring you to a place to reformat but my friend pc never include that ability why?

How do i help him reformat his computer.
It's up to you, just like some users prefer Windows XP SP1 over SP2.

May I ask if your PC a brought one or a built one?

If your PC gets a brand name, then it is impossible for you to use other OS rather than the one the manufacturer has given to you.