PPTX file will not open using Double Click

dauntecasado

Beta member
I have a computer that is running Windows XP with Office 2007 Professional. He is having problems only with the Powerpoint files in the office, specifically .pptx files. When you double-click on the file it opens up to a blank presentation. Once that is open if you click open and navigate to the file then it opens correctly.
I have checked the registry and the open/command path is correct. Any other ideas will help. All the others work fine Word, Excel and Outlook.

I'd try running a repair on Office to ensure nothing else is corrupt. You can do this through the Add/Remove Programs area of Control Panel.

Now that said, I'm going to put in my disclaimer here that the system should be taken off of XP and moved to at least Windows 7. XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, and thus is no longer receiving security updates which makes it a prime target for malware and such.

Right click on your power point icon of the presentation you have, select Properties in the drop down box and see where the "Location" file path points too. If it shows C:\Program files\xxxx\office xxx Then you file path is going to the wrong place

If your file became corrupted when PowerPoint or your computer crashed, there may be a temporary version of the file in your TEMP directory. If so, you can try the aforementioned Insert, Slides From File and browse to that file. Or you can try changing the file's extension to PPT and see if you can open it from within PowerPoint using File, Open. You could also do a search for *.TMP files on the off chance that it's not in your TEMP directory.

If the presentation seems corrupted or on the verge of it, but you can still open it, download and use the CloneMe add-in from Microsoft (for PowerPoint 97 or 2000) or for PowerPoint 2000 and higher, try HTML "Round-tripping" to repair corruption

Many users have recovered damaged PPT presentations by opening them in Impress, the presentation program included with Sun's Star Office presentation package or the free Open Office.

Or you may use professional software for .ppt and .pptx files PPTX Open File Tool

Last edited by a moderator:
I would prefer guide below or another methods are proposed from different sources over Internet, but in case the guide from MS Corporation can't handle the problem PPTX Open File Tool

Back
Top Bottom