Please help me : WOL settings on Win7

smnouman

Beta member
Hello, I need assistance in setting WOL on my home PC. I want to start pc remotely from other city i travel for my work through internet.

My mother board is P7H55-V Asus. I have done the followings so far.

In bios power setting "AMP configuration":
Power on by PCI devide ( Enabled )

In network adoptor settings i have changed the following.
Wake on Magic packet ( Enabled )

All these settings also done, Other than firewall settings since i have zone alarm ( i am not able to set this up)
How To Enable Wake On Lan (WoL) Windows 7

I am now having my IP and MAC and Subnet address with me, also a wol magic packet sender also download.

Can some one tell why am i not able to start my PC.. I am so getting depressed..

Need some urgent help from you guys !!!!!!!

You need to forward the port that you followed in that guide (UDP 9 I believe) on your router.

:'( let me cry first .... i cant figure it out.. is there a step be step guide on setting up port forward on 9 on router.

I am new to these terms. I really appreciate if you can make this happen in any way.

I had done WOL in the same network or subnet a number of time and there was no issue with UDP 9 or 7. But now when my subnet is different, my pc is not receiving any magic packets.

What is router, since there is just one cable that is directly plugged into my system lan card.

Much in need of help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please dont ignore me..

One more thing my friend told me about the device for turning wifi on in my house. So i had bought TPLink Router TL-WR740N.
But if you say its better without this device then i will not set this up.
I just want to make my pc remotely started. Guide me please...

A router is a device that people use to get WiFi and access to multiple PC's within a house to the internet. Since you have the cable plugged directly into your PC, there is no need for that information.

If you followed the guide directly then you already have it setup via the firewall and it should work. Have you checked your IP Config to make sure that the IP you have and the IP your PC reads are the same thing?

A router is a device that people use to get WiFi and access to multiple PC's within a house to the internet. Since you have the cable plugged directly into your PC, there is no need for that information.

If you followed the guide directly then you already have it setup via the firewall and it should work. Have you checked your IP Config to make sure that the IP you have and the IP your PC reads are the same thing?

wwww.whatismyip.com displayed
Your IP : 182.178.115.225
Local Network IP : 172.16.14.24

and
cmd > ipconfig /all displayed
since my cable sevice provider has give a login and pass to connect so it is showing
dailer ip "IPV4 Adress : 172.16.14.24"
and submask address : 255.255.255.255
While just below dailer is my ethernet adapter local area connection
IPV4 Adress : 10.101.0.116
Subnet mask : 255.255.0.0

what is that i should rectify and how .

I have no clue on what UDP is and what is 9 port, is it really open in my system ?
Is my zonealarm doing something to block port ?
How may i confirm which port is to be used for WOL to work ?
Which port in my system is available ?
How to setup port ? what is this port forwarding ? i have been reading too much these days :(

Absolutely appreciate your response KSoD

Update :
I have tried few thing over the same subnet in my office (local networking)

I installed magic packet sniffer on the host PC to recognize incoming signals.
Then i send the magic packet from the other PC through a software called magic packet sender. Yes it showed the signal being received !

BUT, then i tried online sites for sending magic packet signals to that same host PC.
Magic packet sniffer did not responded this time.
Sites that i tried,
http://www.lchu.net/wowASP/index.htm
http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx

May be this is the issue. All online sites for sending magic packets do not work.
How can i check if any signal is being generated by online packet sending sites.

Rgds..Nouman

No one here has tried what you have. We dont have answers for you. We cant tell you how to access your PC using the WOL settings. Most of us do not put our system to sleep, hibernate or anything other than low power standby which doesnt require WOL. You will have to try and get assistance from TechNET.

Did you forward UDP port 7 or 9 on your router to your computer? Did you set a static IP on your computer? Did you create an exception in your firewall(s) to accept UDP communication through ports 7 and 9?

You need to forward the ports on your router, and create the exceptions in your firewall on your computer that you want to wake.

Go here:
Free Help Forwarding Ports - PortForward.com

Pick your router brand / model, go to the W's section, select Wake on Lan, and see if it has steps laid out to help you forward the port(s) on your router.

Back
Top Bottom