One qustion about windows vista. please help!

Sage_Lee_Beran

Beta member
I am currently using linux on my main desktop and I decided to install windows on my other desktop to play some games. My buddy has one of those DELL studio hybrids and he gave me a Windows Vista disk. I look at it and i see that it is a re installation disk. it says:

Widows Vista Home Premium 32BIT SP1

The software is already installed on your computer.
Use this DVD only to reinstall the operating system on a dell PC.

The PC I want to install this on is a DELL Optiplex 960. The hardrive is blank and i just want to know if i would be able to is this disk to install Vista on a blank hard drive.

It should work, what's stopping you from trying it? If it won't install then come back with whatever install issue you are having and we will try to help you then.

If you have a legit Vista Home Premium key for the Optiplex 960, and as long as there's drivers for it, then yes it should work.

As long as the Dell disc isn't a "restore disc" that tries to use a Dell key.

The PC I want to install this on is a DELL Optiplex 960. The hardrive is blank and i just want to know if i would be able to is this disk to install Vista on a blank hard drive.

Legally you can only do this if the Dell came with Windows Vista and has the Windows Vista Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the side or back. If it does not have this then no you can not use this media to install Windows Vista on the machine. You can only legally install the version of Windows that you have the COA sticker for.

He gave me the key and i have the sticker but the hard drive is new. I just took an old optiplex and upgraded it. The original hard drive was missing.

I am currently using linux on my main desktop and I decided to install windows on my other desktop to play some games. My buddy has one of those DELL studio hybrids and he gave me a Windows Vista disk. I look at it and i see that it is a re installation disk. it says:

Widows Vista Home Premium 32BIT SP1

The software is already installed on your computer.
Use this DVD only to reinstall the operating system on a dell PC.

My advice as a com tech vista you will always have problems with. go with XP or windows 7.........

He gave me the key and i have the sticker but the hard drive is new. I just took an old optiplex and upgraded it. The original hard drive was missing.

The key cant just be given away. It is tied to the mother board of the machine it came installed on. It is non-transferable. The OEM License lives and dies with that machine.

So again I state, that what you want to do cant be done legally. You will have to purchase a new copy of Windows. If you dont you are in violation of the End User License Agreement, that big long thing that you have to agree to in order to install Windows, that thing.

Back
Top Bottom