old hd in new comp with reformat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowadudeguy

Baseband Member
hello all have a question for you all. I have a amd single core computer currently and i am getting a new dual core computer, if i reformat the hd and do a fresh install of windows xp everything will be alright won't it? i don't see why it woulnd't work but i want to ask before i do it thanks for any help.

This is a double edged question. Yes if you format and reinstall everything will be alright. But the double edge comes in with the Licensing.

Technically since you are building a new PC that means that you have to buy a new copy of Windows. If the version you have is a OEM copy used with a pre-built machine that makes it even worse as those can not be transferred.

You might be able to get away with saying you are transferring the XP if it is retail, but it is a tricky process to go through and still be fully legit.

Not really. You can format during the install process.

also i was wondering what the difference between an ide hard drive and sata hard drive would be in performance? like would it affect my fps in a game?

No. That would be your GFX Card. The onyl thing a IDE vs a SATA HDD would do in game would be access time.

getting a sata hard drive would be better as it is the standard of optical and hard drives and there would be less clutter in your case as ide drives have ribbon cables which are really wide compared to the sata cable.

I wouldnt say it is the standard for optical drives. As i still see more IDE Optical drives than i do SATA.

Yes it would help with airflow, but it will not help a FPS issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom