Official Windows 10 Thread

I am getting things ready to give it a go. Having to download a fresh ISO of Win7 Pro to install on a spare drive so I can upgrade it to 10. Once I have it all up and working the way I want it I will image it onto my SSD but I am going to wait until then and only then.

Media Creation Tool doesn't work properly if certain services are disabled. This can cause issues with the ISO and the update process. In my case, it just wanted my SATA controllers enabled to install to my PCI-E SSD :neutral:

My issue was due to a flaky internet connection... Took three attempts to get a non-corrupted ISO... First one "finished" half way through, the second attempt that I thought was good and used as the first attempt at installing was 8KB short... just enough to screw the ISO up, but allow it to burn and verify for some reason. Third time around, it fully downloaded. Gotta love sat-net

My issue was due to a flaky internet connection... Took three attempts to get a non-corrupted ISO... First one "finished" half way through, the second attempt that I thought was good and used as the first attempt at installing was 8KB short... just enough to screw the ISO up, but allow it to burn and verify for some reason. Third time around, it fully downloaded. Gotta love sat-net

Chrome F'd up my ISO as well when I first downloaded it - had to re-download it through FireFox. I've noticed Chrome doesn't like large downloads and corrupts them occasionally.

I run Windows on a VM on my Mac so I don't really want to be tackling a messy update to Windows 10. Might hold out until it becomes more stable.

Had to reinstall it last night because of my mess up - got almost everything back up and running in about 2 hours. The "Reset PC" option is awesome...didn't even need to back up my personal data (just stuff in AppData I needed to keep for configs and stuff). Reinstalled the OS and got me back up and running in no time.

Hi all.

This might already be covered in this 32 page thread of Windows 10.... ;)

I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 from my previous Windows 8.1; I just did it this past Sunday, 8/9/15.

But, I'd like to do a clean install. I did some searching on the 'Net, and yes, I came across many articles on it (on creating an ISO file from your upgrade version of Windows 10 downloaded from Windows Update).

This one is from a Microsoft/ Community page:
How to: Create a bootable ISO file from your Windows 10 Download - Microsoft Community
Does this one seem decent? This page also has a link to this:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Is that Media Creation Tool necessary? Or can the process be done without it?

Or how about this page on ZDNet:
How to turn your Windows 10 upgrade files into an ISO disk image | ZDNet

Although, this ZDNet page mentions "Preview Build", so maybe this really doesn't apply now to the full released version?

And oh: when doing a clean install from scratch after creating this ISO file, what about a "Product Key"? Do you use the one from your previous Windows OS? In my case, Windows 8?

Thanks for any help or info.
Pez

If you have upgraded to 10, and if your activated, then Microsoft already has your hardware ID on it's servers and you can do a clean install.
Get the .iso from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
That url is your best option, just remember you must use the same version that your currently using now, or it will not activate.
When installing, just click on the "Skip" button when you see the option to install a key, after it's installed and you go on line, your windows 10 will auto-activate

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom