nortons av 2003 pro edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiGGeR

Beta member
hi relatively new to it

i have a problem ,running xp pro and nortons av 2003 pro edition every time i shut down a message comes up something about ccAPP used google found out has to do with nav

can any one thell me what it is and what to do?

my firewall sygate stops port 1900 sending to url 235.255.255.250 google says it has something to do with msn messenger i have got it to start up when the system starts if a disable it at startup will the problem be solved

any help apreciated

regards

TiGGeR

you can get rid of msn messenger by running msconfig and unchecking it under the startup tab. then reboot the system. you can also do this by disabling it in services(administrative tools)..look for messenger, go to properties then select disable( do this first before you remove it in the msconfig startup tab).

do this if you want to disable msn messenger.

CCAPP
SymantecÂ’s Common Client Application for Norton AntiVirus 2003, Norton Personal Firewall 2003, and Norton Internet Security 2003. This task is, effectively, the "master" task in these products as its role is to call the different program features of the above products. For example, if Auto-Protect and E-mail Scanning are enabled, then CCAPP makes sure that those programs are running. If CCAPP is disabled, then Auto-Protect and Email Scanning will not run.

Leave well alone – this task is crucial to the proper working of your Norton 2003 security product.

I recommend turning off the Live Update feature in NAV03 (this uses the Generic Host service aka 'svchost.exe' and do a manual update once a week.

Sygate does not like you using Universal Plug and Play (for security reasons UPNP is WIDE OPEN) which MSN Messenger amongst others use. The IP address is actually your own 'rebounded', if you allow this service through you can see how easy it would be for someone to breach your security.

At the end of the day never trust M$ for anything regarding security. Use another chat client if you must use one at all.

PS. Sygate is an excellent product and imo probably the best software firewall available. Make sure you go through each appliaction in Tools | Applications | Advanced and UNTICK the act as Server act as Client and Allow ICMP. If you don't know what each service and application does then now is a good place to start learning.

this probbably has nothing to do with your problem, but you shouldn't have Norton Systemworks running on anything except XP and maybe 2000

we had a problem of it being too strict for win98.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom