NK2 File Causing Slowness

aimo3

In Runtime
Setup: Win XP, Outlook 2010, MS Exchange account

Problem 1: some emails cause outlook to hang
Solution 1: I renamed the user's profile and then logged on as him, so a new windows profile was created. I moved all the data from old to new excluding the Outlook.NK2

Problem 2: User complains that his autocomplet addresses have gone.
Soultion 2: I copied the Outlook.NK2 from his old profile to his new profile in the follwing path.
drive:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Problem 3: the autocomplete worked but it took a couple of seconds to show what was being typed or the list, and when you delete (using Backspace) it takes a couple of seconds to delete!

I tried from another PC using the same user's credentials (the user of the problem) and the same NK2 file, and the problem did not come.

I replaced windows profile again, but the problem persisted. I deleted the NK2 file, and the problem went!

Have you seen this problem? How can I solve it without making the user send emails to all addresses that he wants to see the autocomplete list?

Last edited:
Outlook 2010 does NOT use NK2 files, it uses a dat file. You can import your old NK2 by placing the NK2 file into the appropriate location on the Office 2010 machine (this depends if it's xp or win 7) then typing:
Outlook.exe /importnk2

This will convert the NK2 into a DAT file that can then be copied from machine to machine if needed.

You can also use an executable called nk2edit that will allow you to remove old, stale entries in the nk2 before edit.

Back
Top Bottom