Network connectivity question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chara33

Daemon Poster
Is there any software that can check for heavy network activity from one of your nodes?

Also, Is it a good idea to Create a Recovery Disc Set in Windows 7 if I dont have one? I do a full system image of my PC every month and store it on a external HD.

thx

There are tons of Network Monitors out there. Just do a Google search for them. I know we have some in our Network area but i dont know if they will show up in a search of our site.

You should have the Recovery Disk. You never know when it might come in handy when you have a boot issue or need to use a Restore point.

Same person, different handle. Just went from Mak213 to KSoD.

If your switch or router has the ability to send activity information to a log server you could find it from that. I have Kiwi SysLogger installed in a few networks. It's not free but it works well. Other than that some consumer-level routers have a built-in activity log but they're limited in how much they will store so you'd only see likely a few minutes of activity at a time. Network traffic event logs can get big. With only a few dozen computers on a network you could have 10 MB logs per day, and making sense of the information in such logs is very time-consuming if done by hand. Kiwi's logs are in plain text or other formats but it's still a massive amount of data to sift through. Still, if you scroll through and see one local IP address more than any other then you've got what you were asking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom