Need to manually install MS-DOS 6.22. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickbeam1213

Beta member
Hey guys. Most people when they work with DOS choose to go with the automatic install which spans multiple disks. I can do and have done this easily. For part of a computer project, I must now demonstrate an ability to manually install MS-DOS without the automated setup. I have a single floppy which according to the instructor contains all of the relevant files. If anyone has any tip, please advise. Thanks!

I assume you want to install DOS to a hard disk.

Boot from the install floppy. From the DOS prompt run fdisk to partition the HDD and mark the partition active (There may be more than 1 partition). After the disk is partitioned you then need to use the format command such as "format c: /s" which will format the C: drive and install the system files which will then make the HDD bootable. Remove the floppy and reboot the machine. Once the machine is booted to the c: prompt you can then create a DOS directory and copy the contents of the install floppy to the DOS directory. From there you will need to create your config.sys and autoexec.bat to tailor your DOS environment to the way you want it.

Is the hard drive formatted already? And if so, what version of Dos is already there?
I think you'd need to FDisk the drive then set the active drive. The floppy install disk will have FDISK utility and Format.exe to format the drive. You don't actually "install" dos.

Dos 6.22 was designed more for Windows 95 or 3.1 (forgotten, really).
What size hard drive are you using?

One point that many people may not realise is that you cannot use the /s (for system install) if the cache is 128kb, it's not enough cache. Also, many older games for Dos use the cache so you will need at least 256kb of cahe or preferably 512kb.

When you are ready to format just format without the /s then use sys c: to install the system files.
format c:
sys c:

It is best, when using fdisk, to turn off the computer after each procedure. Escape to A: prompt before turning off the computer and make sure that you don't just restart, either, as the changes may not take effect.

What cache are you referring to? The HDD cache? I've used "format c: /s" on floppies and HDDs that have no cache without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom