MS Word questions

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I hope someone can help w/ MS Word? I havent seen much of that here. A few questions:

OK so one change from Office 2003 (to 2007, which is what I'm currently using) is the blue color. One could easily click blue in the colors to change to the ideal text color. Now that shade's gone and been replaced w/ a bunch of strange blue shades instead. I'd like to figure out why MS did something so stupid. But more importantly if there's a fix? I can go into "More Colors" and choose the blue from there but that has to be done each time I restart the program.

Also lets say I have a document, all in black. I want to add some things to it, but I want everything I now add to be in a different font / color. How would I do that? I find no matter what font I have selected, when I type it'll automatically take the font of where I'm in in the document.

One annoying function is everytime I highlight something (not color, just hihglight w/ my cursor) a popup appears giving me the option to change the font, size, color etc. That popups soo annoying. Can I get rid of it?

When I'm writing a cover letter, I have my resume on page 2. The letter typically takes half a page. I've found though that when I've written my letter to half a page, and then put my resume on the next, if I then make my letter a bit longer, the resume wont start at the top of page 2, it'll go down, and similarly if I make my letter a bit shorter, the resume'll appear at the bottom of page 1. I realize this is a page break issue but not successfully being able to apply it.

In Firefox I can make the screen bigger by pressing Ctrl and scrolling w/ the mouse wheel. I'm pretty sure I could do this w/ Word at some point, but am not able to do so now. Am I mistaken?

Lastly, my monitor's fairly wide, which means two pages typically appear in Word, side by side. If I click an option to just display one page it'll do so in the center of the screen, where I want it, but if I magnify the view at all, the page'll go to the left side. What's up w/ that? It's straining my neck to have to look hard-left.

Thanks guys!
Dan

I think just about everything you are complaining about can be modified.

For instance, the little popup (referred to as the mini Toolbar) can be turned on/off in Options.

The colors and fonts can be setup and saved as Styles. Check out the "Change Styles" tab on the Home ribbon.

The Ctrl-Mouse scroll wheel works for me to zoom in/out.

The page settings can be accessed from the Zoom section of the View ribbon.

Your post is a little too involved and asks too many questions for me to go into detail about each one. Hopefully, this post will give you some ideas about where to look and what to do.

Last edited:
I hope someone can help w/ MS Word? I havent seen much of that here. A few questions:

OK so one change from Office 2003 (to 2007, which is what I'm currently using) is the blue color. One could easily click blue in the colors to change to the ideal text color. Now that shade's gone and been replaced w/ a bunch of strange blue shades instead. I'd like to figure out why MS did something so stupid. But more importantly if there's a fix? I can go into "More Colors" and choose the blue from there but that has to be done each time I restart the program.

Just cause you only want 1 option for Blue, doesn't mean the rest of the world and every other user of the program does. So to claim it is "so stupid" is nothing more than your personal opinion as you want the product tailored to you and not for everyone. Sorry but that wont happen.

Also lets say I have a document, all in black. I want to add some things to it, but I want everything I now add to be in a different font / color. How would I do that? I find no matter what font I have selected, when I type it'll automatically take the font of where I'm in in the document.

Same way you would any kind of text editing. Select the text you want to edit, select the font and then the color. Repeat. It is no different than anything you would do posting on this forum or using any HTML based website.

Apply or remove text highlighting - Word - Office.com

One annoying function is everytime I highlight something (not color, just hihglight w/ my cursor) a popup appears giving me the option to change the font, size, color etc. That popups soo annoying. Can I get rid of it?

Have you checked the Options of the program? Sorry I cant be more precise, but like most people, I ignore it rather than try to eliminate it. Cause in the end if I need it, it is there instead of going the long route and complaining later that they didn't do such a thing forgetting that I turned the option off and it was there the whole time.

When I'm writing a cover letter, I have my resume on page 2. The letter typically takes half a page. I've found though that when I've written my letter to half a page, and then put my resume on the next, if I then make my letter a bit longer, the resume wont start at the top of page 2, it'll go down, and similarly if I make my letter a bit shorter, the resume'll appear at the bottom of page 1. I realize this is a page break issue but not successfully being able to apply it.

How did you insert the page break? Better yet you could do what is recommended and have your Cover Letter be its own document and your resume be another. Then you don't have to worry about such page break issues.

In Firefox I can make the screen bigger by pressing Ctrl and scrolling w/ the mouse wheel. I'm pretty sure I could do this w/ Word at some point, but am not able to do so now. Am I mistaken?

Never tried. I use the built in Zoom feature. After all it is built right into the Ribbon that is showing, so why do I need to use complex tricks to just click a button.

Zoom in or out of a document, presentation, or worksheet - Word - Office.com

Lastly, my monitor's fairly wide, which means two pages typically appear in Word, side by side. If I click an option to just display one page it'll do so in the center of the screen, where I want it, but if I magnify the view at all, the page'll go to the left side. What's up w/ that? It's straining my neck to have to look hard-left.

Thanks guys!
Dan

Unless your Monitor is a 70" HDTV, then having to turn to look 2 inches to the left of a PC monitor isn't a strain. When I do this I don't even have to turn my head. I just adjust my eyes only to the left 2 inches to see the document. That is running on a 40" HDTV as well. Don't agree with this gripe at all cause I don't understand how it is such a "hard-left" when it is a matter of inches in reality.

Back
Top Bottom