Music skips with harddrive activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
Some of you may remember that my WD Raptor HDD died, and I had to switch over to a new HDD. I went with a 500GB Samsung Harddrive.

But I'm having this weird issue. First off, I have -four- harddrives. My music is stored on my second harddrive, not my primary. When ever I'm doing anything that would cause harddrive usage, if it's defragging, installing a program, etc my music will skip. The weird thing is, my second harddrive isn't getting the activity so it shouldn't be happening.

Since I have USB speakers, I switched it over to my headset which is my Auzentech sound card. Same issue, except it gives random static.

What is going on? I never had this issue with my Raptor.

How often does it skip?

Only during harddrive activities like installing programs or defragging. Not sure that this could cause music to skip. And I have a dual core so it's not like my CPU can't handle it. I am running Win7.

sounds soooo familiar for some reason.... Think it had something to do with power or something.

I'll look for it

Hmm, this reminds me. I have a FSP Group 500 Watt PSU. It's about 5 or 6 years old, the best PSU I've owned. But I wonder if that's my issue? I know the fan inside of it is basically shot, it's so loud right now it's unbelievable (I ordered a new fan). So I'm wondering if maybe the fan is making my PSU hotter and the voltage is decreasing? Or I simply don't have the power to run this many harddrives? I mean, technically, only two of them were connected. The other one is a external USB.

But now I have three, I ran OpenSuse and didn't have any issues like that.

But now I have three, I ran OpenSuse and didn't have any issues like that.

No issues whatsoever in OpenSuSE? Did you do anything really intensive that put a load on the hard drive, similar to the load you put on it when defragging in Windows?

I find it hard to believe the OS would have a factor in this. I was almost for sure suspecting hardware failure of some sort, whether it's the drive, the motherboard pushing out a bad signal in the data cable, or the power supply over/under feeding it power to the hdd.

Not yet, I haven't been back on Linux since. I truthfully think it may just be my PSU. Have to do my work on Windows, then I recompile on Linux... =)

What Linux distro do you use?

You can attempt to test the psu issue, but honestly I'm not sure how reliable the test would be.
I still can't find the thread and would hate to say it's one thing when it's not...

I'm not sure to be honest, I could poke around the internet to find one but I wouldn't be able to say it will find what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom