More RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossy1881

Banned
I currently have 1 stick of 512MB of RAm in my PC, I plan on adding 2 more sticks of 2GB of RAM. My question is my system going to run OK with 2.5 GB of RAM or am I better off just putting in the 2GB and taking the other stick of 512MB out. What do you guys think?

cheers

Hello,

You system will be just fine running with 2.5GB of RAM. I ran with 1.5GB for a while till i got my 2GB kit.

Cheers,
Mak

if you mobo support dual channel mode, it will run faster with 2 1 gig stick in a the dual channel slots than with one more in a 3rd slot. I've been there done that. if you mobo has only single channel slots the 2.5 will be faster

Would I gain more by taking the 512 out and having the 2gb in dual channel mode since my motherboard supports that? Also, If I am better off using just the 2 sticks of GB RAM, do they need to go into certain slots on my mobo?

cheers

Would I gain more by taking the 512 out and having the 2gb in dual channel mode since my motherboard supports that? Also, If I am better off using just the 2 sticks of GB RAM, do they need to go into certain slots on my mobo?

cheers

yes. read the mobo book to find out which channel are the dual channel ones. it varies. sometimes they are next to each other, sometime they are 1 and 3 and or 2 and 4

yes. read the mobo book to find out which channel are the dual channel ones. it varies. sometimes they are next to each other, sometime they are 1 and 3 and or 2 and 4

Ericb or anyone else, I don't have any book to refer to. My mobo is a D945GTP. How can I tell which slots are dual channels ones and how do I know which slot is 1 and which slot is 4?

cheers

Hello,

Use Google to find the information about your mobo. It is a great resource. No need for us to do all the leg work.

Almost all mobos do it in sets. Either sets 1&3, 2&4 or sets 1&2, 3&4. Read the infor on your mobo to find out which set it is. Shoud be available at the manufacturer's website. If you dont know the make. Use CPUz.

CPUID

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom