Low disk Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

priyadharshini

Beta member
Hi
I am using Windows 7 and i have allocated 25 GB for C drive where i have installed the OS.

Recently am receiving notifications like low disk space and my disk is almost full, only left with 19.9 MB space.
This is affecting the system performance so much. I tried cleaning up disk space, but of no use.

Also i checked the size of all folders(including hidden folders) manually and it is found to around 20 GB maximum(approx calc)

Someone pl help me to solve the issue :( :(

You need much more than 25GB of space for Windows. You might get by with that if you install no other software and move your Pagefile to a new drive along with turning off Shadow Copies among so much more. But since you make no statement that you took such measures, you really need more space. Nothing more to it than that. While Windows itself may only use about 10GB of space, each program you install puts it appdata on the Windows drive. So all of your programs add to that space, not to mention they are also stored within the Windows Drive in the Program Files Folder.

Then of course comes the pagefile which automatically deducts about the amount of RAM you have for itself. Then you have the samething being done for the Hibernation.sys file as well. So right there you can easily have upwards of 20GB of space just between Windows being installed, the pagefile and the hibernation.sys file all being on the same drive.

Either expand that partition to a larger size or reinstall on a larger drive. There is nothing to fix - you know the issue is space.

You need much more than 25GB of space for Windows. You might get by with that if you install no other software and move your Pagefile to a new drive along with turning off Shadow Copies among so much more. But since you make no statement that you took such measures, you really need more space. Nothing more to it than that. While Windows itself may only use about 10GB of space, each program you install puts it appdata on the Windows drive. So all of your programs add to that space, not to mention they are also stored within the Windows Drive in the Program Files Folder.

Then of course comes the pagefile which automatically deducts about the amount of RAM you have for itself. Then you have the samething being done for the Hibernation.sys file as well. So right there you can easily have upwards of 20GB of space just between Windows being installed, the pagefile and the hibernation.sys file all being on the same drive.

Thanks for your reply.
i understood wat u hav explained.
Actually the thing is Windows occupies 12 GB space and AppData occupies around 3 GB, so overall it comes around 15 GB..
So if i assume that 5 GB space is occupied by hibernation.sys file and pagefile, then i should be left with remaining 5 GB of free space rite ?

Or is it like, the Pagefile and hibernation.sys file and any other system files need more space to occupy ??

And also I hav not installed much softwares.

The pagefile.sys and the hibernation.sys files will both take up 5GB of space, each. They are not combined. So that would explain the loss of the 5GB of space you think you should have left. You will need to move the pagefile to a new location within the Windows Advanced System Settings and disable Hibernation. To do so you need to open an Command Prompt with Admin Rights. Start>Cmd>Right click>Run as Admin. In there type in this command:

Code:
powercfg -h off

This will disable Hibernation and get rid of the hibernation.sys file as well to free up that space. That in conjunction of moving the pagefile to a different hard drive will free up the additional hard drive space you are looking for.

The pagefile.sys and the hibernation.sys files will both take up 5GB of space, each. They are not combined. So that would explain the loss of the 5GB of space you think you should have left. You will need to move the pagefile to a new location within the Windows Advanced System Settings and disable Hibernation. To do so you need to open an Command Prompt with Admin Rights. Start>Cmd>Right click>Run as Admin. In there type in this command:

Code:
powercfg -h off

This will disable Hibernation and get rid of the hibernation.sys file as well to free up that space. That in conjunction of moving the pagefile to a different hard drive will free up the additional hard drive space you are looking for.

Thanks.. i think tis wil help me.. n btw.. one quick question.. if i do tis, wil the sleep option stop working ?? because, i often used to put system in sleepin mode..

or sleep n hibernation.sys file is not related ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom