Looking into upgrading to Windows 8. Why should I not yet?

I personally don't like Windows 8 because it's impossible to bypass the driver signature enforcement thing. If I wanted an os that doesn't work with my hardware I'd use Linux and even then Linux has better driver compatibility than Windows does without unsigned drivers.
Most people aren't bothered by this but it's a game changer for me. The interface doesn't make a difference as I can easily adapt to almost any type of interface.
That's just why I don't want Windows 8. Most people don't need unsigned drivers but I use several devices that don't have them available.

Using Unsigned drivers in Windows 8 - Frequently Asked Questions - LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Same way as it was in Win7...

how does this have anything to do with building or buying a new computer?

ugh! man i wish i was a mod, id be moving threads all over the place!!!
That's what the report post button is for instead of just posting that the OP posted in the wrong section.

Last edited:
Why change such a good interface so much? I personally don't care for touch screens unless it's in my hand. I've read the performance in games has been suffering with early tests...so I'll wait for SP1

Well excuse me, Sean. I couldn't find it. A lot has changed since I have been to these threads thus seeing more specific forum sections.

That is an error there. I dont have to install it before the 31st. However check this out:

PSA: Windows 8 and Pro upgrades will jump to $120 and $200 on February 1st

Prices will jump up 400%! If I ever wanted to upgrade to it for whatever reason, I can save myself a ton of money just doing this. Also, the Start button may be gone, but if you buy the third-party app Start 8 off the Windows Store, then you will get the regular functions of the Start button back for those of you that don't know.

Well for the cheap price, download it now and install it at a later time if you think you might use it at some point, you can't go wrong for the $15. Even if you wait an entire year before you might decide to use it
Stardock has an add-on program that makes W8 look like W7 with the start button, called "Start 8" for $5.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SdW9tSXK3fM

Last edited:
I run Win8 exclusively. I have no issue with it without a Touch Device. So people who claim that it is only good for touch is wrong. Cause I use it just fine without touch. Myth Busted.

Next I have yet to notice any performance hit.

Lastly, use it if YOU want to and not what others thing or say. It is your choice to do what you want with YOUR PC, not with theirs. If someone doesnt want to run Win8, that is their choice and option. I choose to run it and I dont toss it in others faces about how diluted their thoughts are about it. Just cause they dont like the looks. The same was said of XP, Vista and Windows 7 when they were all released. In time when they have to spend $200 to get it instead of $40, they will kick themselves while we quietly laugh.

So in reality if you like it, run it. If you know what to expect then asking others for their opinion is like asking them what car you should buy or what home you should buy cause they so know exactly what you want and do. ;)

I run Win8 exclusively. I have no issue with it without a Touch Device. So people who claim that it is only good for touch is wrong. Cause I use it just fine without touch. Myth Busted.

There are so many things wrong with this statement I don't even know where to start.

You can try to start anywhere you want. But the fact is proven by my using Windows 8 without a touch device that anyone who claims that it can only be used with touch is lying and wrong. You cant tell me my statement is wrong with something that is your opinion.

I live without touch. Therefor it is proven that it can be used without touch. Where is your proof that it cant be done without touch? There is none cause it doesnt exist.

I have proof to backup my statement while you only have your opinion and the opinion of others who do not use Windows 8 daily. To top it off, I use it flawlessly with a $20 mouse and keyboard set from Walmart. Called Onn brand and wireless desktop bundle that I picked up for $20 and yet Windows 8 still works. I dont have my high end Razer Mouse, my Kinzu or my Relcusa hooked up to this.

So I would love to see how someone's opinion that doesnt use Windows 8 daily could prove someone wrong or their statement wrong that Windows 8 can be used with touch devices. So please by all means start. I would love to see how my statement is wrong. I would love to know how someone who doesnt use Windows 8 can tell me that it cant be used with non touch devices and how my statement is in fact wrong. I would love for someone who doesnt do what I do tell me that what I am saying and doing is wrong. It would make my life so much better to know how it is wrong when I am doing it daily.

Your statement is also an opinion, dude.
Because you can use it with a keyboard and mouse and enjoy it doesn't mean everyone else is wrong.

It's what's called "anecdotal evidence", FYI.

EDIT: Also, I never said it can't be used without touch. Clearly, it can. It's a matter of personal preference (as said earlier. Just because you like it doesn't mean everyone else is wrong)

Last edited:
I enjoy Windows 8 at Best Buy. It can probably suit my needs if it means for efficiency. Went through some training, so I already know how to use it right off the bat. Also, I have a Wacom Intuos 5 Medium tablet optimized for it as well. I prefer touch over mouse for Windows 8 any day. I will take into account all your comments and get it asap. Like KSoD is saying, better to spend $15 than $200 in a short summary. I could regret it you know.

I always say don't upgrade windows until at least one service pack has been released.
This gives time for most of the major bugs to be ironed out, and drivers to have been released, tested and hopefully fully working by then

I have been thinking about this one as well and might buy windows 8 on DVD, while it is still cheap, so that I can upgrade in a few months time, or just to have a play with it inside a VM
Although I will be checking with work as to when they will have it available as I can usually get an OS via them for free

I just had second thoughts of dual-booting Windows 7 for just-in-case purposes. Also, I need to clone my Win7 drive properly. Anyone recommend the best cloning free software I should use?

Back
Top Bottom