Is this a legal work around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will make sure to edit that thread and make it know that it is total RAM. System and Video that counts toward the total RAM of the limit.

Thread edited with a not before the Questions to make it more clear. ;)

LOL, I was gonna say, I could have sworn it was total system memory. Also, Lex, it is Vista Home Premium and the upgrade would be Vista Ultimate 64-bit for $20, so with 5GB I think it would be well worth the $20.

Vista Ultimate is not worth it. Read the topics posted around. Ultimate does not offer anything that makes it worth the money to spend.

Do you really think you are going to want to waste resources running Dreamscenes which can use upwards of 500MB since they are animated desktop wallpapers?

Or what about Texas Hold 'Em Card game?

What about the 2 new sound schemes which can already be found on the internet?

That is Ultimate. Other than BitLocker which is dangerous in the best of hands. If you lose or forget your password, say goodbye. There is NO way to recover that. Not even with Recovery software.

The Backup/Restore which works like 50% of the time?

That is everything about Ultimate in a few sentences. Is it really going to be worth the money spent to go from Home Premium which already has Media Center to Ultimate for something that you are lucky to use once or twice?

Vista Ultimate is not worth it. Read the topics posted around. Ultimate does not offer anything that makes it worth the money to spend.

Do you really think you are going to want to waste resources running Dreamscenes which can use upwards of 500MB since they are animated desktop wallpapers?

That is Ultimate. Other than BitLocker which is dangerous in the best of hands. If you lose or forget your password, say goodbye. There is NO way to recover that. Not even with Recovery software.

That is everything about Ultimate in a few sentences. Is it really going to be worth the money spent to go from Home Premium which already has Media Center to Ultimate for something that you are lucky to use once or twice?
Seriously Mak wtf is up with the backup utility? I have yet to have a successful backup on my Ultimate computer (reinstalled OS 3 times) and I keep getting error messages when doing a complete computer backup...

It really urks me off, have you had success w/ this?

I guess i should drop that number down. I got it to backup 1 time. I got it to restore 0 (Zero) times. It is a poor excuse for a backup utility. I would rather get Acronis or Ghost to use rather than the built in.

If the current vista home premium is OEM, the key will NOT work as oem keys are in fact tied to either 32bit or 64bit. I know this because i have 32bit on my media pc and 64 on my gaming rig. If that is the case, the 20$ upgrade from home premium 32 to ultimate 64 would definately be justified. FYI, home premium is usually around 15-20 bucks more than home premium 32bit.

He wants to get Ultimate because Ultimate is the only version that comes in both 32bit and 64bit DVDs, while all the other ones like Home Premium are only 32bit

It is a $20 upgrade from my university. If they had Vista Home Premium 64-bit, I'd get it, but this is all they offer, and for an upgrade it is still dirt cheap. While I am aware the extras in Ultimate are slim, in my case Ultimate is the cheapest and easiest solution. Like veedub said, it would be an OEM license Vista Home Premium laptop. I probably will never use those extra features of Ultimate, but $20 to go from VHP 32-bit OEM to VU 64-bit Upgrade/Full Install using the work around is a great steal!

He wants to get Ultimate because Ultimate is the only version that comes in both 32bit and 64bit DVDs, while all the other ones like Home Premium are only 32bit

All Retail versions have both 32 Bit and 64 Bit. It is only OEM that has either or.

I have seen people use 32 Bit OEM Serials to activate 64 Bit. As long as the 32 Bit is no longer in use.

I will ask around on that one to verify. But i am almost positive that it can be done still. The serials issued by Microsoft are not tied to a specific OS. Of course my experience is all with Retail. Not OEM.

All Retail versions have both 32 Bit and 64 Bit. It is only OEM that has either or.

I have seen people use 32 Bit OEM Serials to activate 64 Bit. As long as the 32 Bit is no longer in use.

I will ask around on that one to verify. But i am almost positive that it can be done still. The serials issued by Microsoft are not tied to a specific OS. Of course my experience is all with Retail. Not OEM.

I think they are tied to OEM/Retail in Vista. With XP all I had to do was call and get it approved, then it only mattered that the key was Home or Pro, not OEM or retail...

The laptop I am getting will have OEM Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Now, my only options for getting 64-bit would be to upgrade or purchase a full OEM 64-bit copy. So for me, $20 be it for Ultimate or Home Premium, is the cheapest option, and it just so happens to be Ultimate 64-bit which is cheapest. I cannot request a 64-bit DVD from Microsoft since it is an OEM license. Is there some other legal way of obtaining a 64-bit Vista Home Premium disc that is free or cheaper than $20? I don't think so, but if there is, please let me know and I'll take that option!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom