Laptop wont update windows.

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
OK - grabbed my sons laptop ( I don't have one) to use during my chemo yesterday. It worked fine -except. It wont and apparently has not properly updated Windows in a long time. Therefore Explorer wont update and neither will his Microsoft office products, etc.

When you try to update it says in the window- "Windows can't update important files and services while the system is using them. Save any open files and restart the computer and then try to check for new updates." It also has a button to (Restart now) in the window.

Last windows updates found =

Microsoft Net framework = 5/15 2014
Microsoft Home and student 2010= 8/16/2014
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x68 = 5/12/2012
Microsoft Windows = 6/11/2014

However, I have rebooted several times and it does not change- get the same message when attempting a windows update.

Not my laptop so I don't want to have to do a clean install ,etc.

I think I did check ad turn on Windows services- which somehow got turned off. Trying to remember all I tried to fix it yesterday- but with the meds in the IV, I am a bit foggy about it ..LOL

it is a ASUS laptop ( has an i5-2430 with 6 GB RAM, with a Nvidia GPU 540m (driver = 268.56) and Win7 64 bit home premium). It has a bunch of ASUS software that looks like garbage= ASUS live update says everything is up to date- but has not updated in 2 years either. I don't know much about laptops in general - so don't want to mess it up as it is still functional and he uses it a community college.

Help and a big thanks in advance - as always .

Open Windows Update and click on the link that says "X updates are available" and uncheck them all. Try installing 1 at a time and see if they still fail.

If Windows Update shows an error code, post the error code it gives.

I get the message above when I click on Windows update- I do not get to the point of it listing the available updates even.

It is like it is stuck on trying to download an old update,but it wont actually update. I did find that windows defender did update yesterday when I was trying update stuff. If I click on the "check for update" on the left side with the Windows message showing in the yellow window, I get another window with the Blue "i" in it over the top and it says" Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because you must first restart the computer so that the previous installation can be completed."

Last edited:
Ya- this has been going on much longer than that. So, If we do a system restore to prior date- will that take out stuff he has done after that date- like papers in Word/excel/etc. Or will the data documents stuff still be there?

Back
Top Bottom