laptop will not boot all the way into windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeman

Baseband Member
I have a laptop that, since yesterday, will get to the windows logon screen. When I try to log onto the user, it gets as far as the background screen (desktop). There are no icons, no taskbar, nothing displayed. If I hit control, alt, delete then I can get into that menu. If I hit the windows button, nothing happens.

Any help? The os is win xp

Thanks

Hello,

Can you boot into safe mode and log into your account (or the administrator account) successfully?

When I boot into safe mode, the same thing happens. There is nothing displayed in the form of icons or a taskbar. If I right click on the desktop (if you can even call it that) nothing happens.

Can you do a Ctrl+Alt+Del to get up the Task Manager and start explorer.exe manually? Of so try that and get into the Control Panel. Create a new account. Sounds as if your profile is corrupted.

I will try those two things but I have a question...

the windows xp install is not the same xp cd that I have. Will it be looking for the same installation cd that was originaly used or am I ok using any windows xp cd?

Thanks,

Ok, I looked at all of the processes running in the task manager and guess what? explorer.exe is not one of them

I know explorer.exe is not one of them. That is why i asked if you could run it thru the task manager. Cause explorer.exe is what runs teh task bar, start menu and all the Windows.

No you cant use a XP disc that is different to your setup. Cant use a XP Home disc to repair a XP Pro setup and vice versa.

Can you do a Ctrl+Alt+Del to get up the Task Manager and start explorer.exe manually? Of so try that and get into the Control Panel. Create a new account. Sounds as if your profile is corrupted.
I am not sure how to start it manually, sorry

When Task Manager is open select file>new task. In there just type explorer.exe and it should start it up manually. ;)

I started explorer.exe manually and the my documents window opened up. There still was no taskbar though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom