Just got an HP 3105m in the mail today, looking to reinstall windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawnskeel

In Runtime
I consider myself "good" at installing windows. Takes an IQ of 2 to do it, but anyways, I've had issues before on other computers that required OEM boot media to use the product key on. I have a legit Windows 7 Professional disc which I copied onto my USB drive, but as I extracted the Product Key from the computer, I noticed it mentioned OEM media and I instantly remembered the last time I waited a week for OEM media to come from the OEM.

Do you think this time it's different? Do I need OEM media or can I use this retail copy of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit? I wanted to installed Professional 64-bit instead of 32-bit because I have 8GB of ram coming in the mail this week.

OEM - Can only ever be installed on a single system.
Retail - Can be installed on different systems provided you uninstall it from the previous system first (though usually that's unnecessary).

Hopefully you can use that to answer your question.

If you are using an OEM Serial, MUST use an OEM Media.

I consider myself "good" at installing windows. Takes an IQ of 2 to do it, but anyways, I've had issues before on other computers that required OEM boot media to use the product key on. I have a legit Windows 7 Professional disc which I copied onto my USB drive, but as I extracted the Product Key from the computer, I noticed it mentioned OEM media and I instantly remembered the last time I waited a week for OEM media to come from the OEM.

Do you think this time it's different? Do I need OEM media or can I use this retail copy of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit? I wanted to installed Professional 64-bit instead of 32-bit because I have 8GB of ram coming in the mail this week.

Too bad you missef this on sale during the black friday holiday sale:
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems
They had it going for 79.99 I think they did 10% price cut, but yes that is what you'll need for your system and if you want to go 64bit.

Honestly though weigh out your options abit more and go for windows 7 pro or ultimate retail version.
Saves you some problems when you don't need have your key tied to one computer if you switch mobo's or rebuild the whole pc with newer parts later down the road. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom